FCC filing outs Nexus 5 details: 5-inch display, Snapdragon 800, LTE

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Nexus 5 rumor mill is in full tilt this week following what appears to be an accidental leak of a device fitting its profile in a promotional video for Android KitKat a few days ago. Now an FCC filing has surfaced revealing new details on an unreleased LG handset that sounds a lot like what Google could be prepared to release as the next Android reference smartphone.

As per the filing, the device – listed as the D820 –  carries a 5-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 SoC, 7-band LTE, 802.11ac Wi-Fi and comes pre-loaded with Android 4.4 KitKat (perhaps the first device to ship with the Nestle-branded OS variant). The paperwork actually references Key Lime Pie which indicates an agreement to use KitKat must have just come down from management not long ago.

fcc nexus snapdragon lte google android snapdragon 800 nexus 5 kitkat fcc filing

The phone measures 131.91mm tall by 68.2mm wide which makes it a little bit narrower and shorter than the Nexus 4 it would replace despite having a larger display. This simply means we should expect to see a Nexus 5 with less bezel and more display.

The Nexus 4 was first showcased in October 2012 before launching a month later. It has sold well over the past year and even more so here lately thanks to a $100 price cut which typically signals a new device is in the pipeline. The fact that Google won’t be restocking the already sold out 8GB Nexus 4 in the Google Play Store further validates rumors that a new device is pending.

Permalink to story.

I would love to have the next Nexus Phone. I'll wait eagerly for Nexus 5. It better be having a metallic body.

I was hoping next Nexus Phone carries 5" or 5.5" inch IPS HD display, nVidia tegra or intel atom with metallic body

Sorry, but I don't like the 5 inch screen. You want a big screen? Get a Note. 4.7 is already a bit much for my tastes, but not so much that I returned my N4. But 5 is too much. I was thoroughly looking forward to this phone, but the 5in screen is a turn off. Why do all the good phones have to keep getting bigger and bigger?

Never you worry, the phone itself most likely won't be bigger, just the screen.

Back