File Sharing With Win2000???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cucumber

Can anyone give me some points...or possibly a site which gives me a run through of file sharing with Win2k Pro:confused:

.....Ive tried a number of times, and about the furthest ive got, is for the PC's to find each other on the network, the network is all working correctly, as i have internet sharing working, as well as playing LAN games!

Its just so much more complex than ME ;) ...which isnt difficult, but i want to learn rather than giving up, and using the ZIP drives to transfer data

Thanks, as always :D

Cucumber

You must have File and Print Sharing installed as a Windows Networking component.

Then its as simple as right clicking a folder and selecting sharing.

There are share permissions that you can set. And obviously you can also set NTFS permissions as well. If you use both, they are summed and the most secure permutation is used.

So if the share is on an NTFS partition, you might as well leave the share permissions as "Everyone Full Control" and then just set NTFS permissions. If its a FAT32 partition, then you can only set share permissions so use those.

If you append a $ to the end of a share name, like this:

myshare$

then the share will be invisible and will not appear in Network Places. Otherwise it will.

There are default admin shares set in Windows 2000 for each drive, so there will already be a c$ share, d$ share, etc....

If your computer was called mycomputer1, then to access a share on it from another computer on your network, the format is:

go to start, run, type:-

\\mycomputer1\sharename

where "sharename" is the name of the shared folder, etc.

Obviously, the following admin shares can be accessed like this:

\\mycomputer1\c$

\\mycomputer1\d$

\\mycomputer1\e$

...etc.....etc.....

Printers are shared in the same way be selecting sharing. There will be several options that you can set.

You can map a share as a network drive by selecting tools, map network drive in explorer tools menu. The path is just the share path like this \\mycomputer1\c$ stuff I highlighted above. Its sensible to start mapped network drives from the other end of the alphabet, ie z: y: w: etc. There's options to set the username and password to be used in each connection. You can avoid getting prompted for any password on successive connections (like if you select reconnect at logon and then reboot) by using identical usernames and passwords on each machine (i.e. localaccess useraccount with password 123456 on BOTH machines... or connecting with the administrator account and having this the same on both.) When you log back in with an account it remembers the network drives that were mapped and tries to connect them again if that option was ticked which it is by default.

Probably that's pretty much it. If you have any remaining questions please post them. If you have managed the other tasks you have mentioned like the shared internet access, etc, then I am sure that you will have no problems. Its all very simple so I am sure that you will have no probs.

Thanks man, i knew i could count on you replying to this one :grinthumb
.....just going to try it out

Thanks again:D

BTW - resourse sharing in NT is great! Especially if you use an NTFS filesystem.

LNCPapa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back