File transfer from Vista Premium (32-bit) to Vista Ultimate (64-bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TazarZero

Hi all! Let me start out by stating my tech experience with this matter. I know 64-bit OS's have 32-bit emulators that allow them to run 32-bit software, and I also know that there are a lot of programs that simply don't run under a 64-bit OS. I have done a file transfer from an older system to a new one, but they were both 32-bit Vista machines.

Here's the situation! I am building a new system here in a few days, and it will have the 64-bit Vista Ultimate OS on it to accommodate the 8GB's of RAM in the system. Right now my current system is running Vista Premium 32-bit and has a lot of needed files that I'd like to move to the new system.

Here's my question. Will a 64-bit machine accept files from a 32-bit machine through a transfer cable, or will they not cooperate with each other?

I already know that any system files won't work from one machine to another, but would I be able to get pictures, videos, game files, movie project files, etc. moved over?

Thanks in advance!
TZ

Yes you should be able to transfer files easily. Are the Vista PC's both updated to Service Pack 2?

My current system has SP2 on it, and I'm sure once the other one is up an running, it'll be updated as well. Like I said, the new machine isn't built yet, and I wanted to get the heads up about the file transfer situation before I came to that step.

Again, I know 32-bit and 64-bit OS's tend to have conflicts with each other, and I was just wondering if a file transfer like so would have that problem. But it sounds like I won't have any issues. :)

The idea is to use a USB transfer cable; however, if worse comes to worst, I'll probably go with a network connection. The USB cable is more straight forward though.

My shop computer is too far from my workbenches so I use the DVD/CD method to transferring files. Good luck :)

File Transfer Update!

So I thought I'd return to answer my own question here.

Yes! The 32-bit and 64-bit Vista machines will transfer files without any hassle. I was able to get everything I needed from my 32-bit machine to the 64-bit one once I figured out what I needed.

Thanks Tmagic650 for your input. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back