File type association - can not delete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyellis

Hi there,

I have a file type that mistakenly got associated with a program and I would like to remove the file from the known file types list entirely.

However, when I click on that listing in the File Types tab of Folder Options, the "Delete" button is somehow not active for that one file type. It is active for the others, but not for the one I want to remove.

Anyone know how to fix this? (XP Home, SP3)

Thanks. :)

Sounds like you have customized an association... (perhaps accidentally?)
Have you tried the "Restore" button? This should "un customize" it, returning it to default.

Try this software. Install it and close other programs. Open that particular folder or file. See what are the process running on your system which are associated with your file or folder. then right click on it and kill that process.
Note:- This software will show all of your process. Not like Task manager. this one show all of your process. so, it's better than Task Manager.
link of that software
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/ofview.zip

Other software packages exist that do what srvijayam is suggesting.
(process explorer by Sysinternals being one trusted program!)
They are powerful programs and must be used with care.

The option I suggested above should do what you were trying to do,
without resorting to a thermonuclear device to try to swat a fly.

Thanks to both B00kWyrm & srvijayam.

I have ProcessExplorer and have used it before; it did not occur to me that the FTA might be inactivated because some process was using it, so that was a good suggestion.

I did try the 'Restore' button and that did the trick. Thanks for that. I have no idea how this FTA got assigned in the first place, much less customized. Are there any viruses or malware that behave this way?? I go to great lengths to keep this particular type unassigned, so finding that it had been was a big surprise, and then finding out I could not delete it was an even bigger surprise.

Thanks for the help, gentlemen. :) :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back