FireFox Problem : (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, quick run-down of what happened:

Yesterday, Firefox stopped working. I hadn't changed any settings, or messed with any system files, etc. etc. It just came up with the "Problem loading page", "Server not found" page for everything. I did a quick System Recover just in case something did happen, and it worked again soon after. Then today, I log onto my computer for FireFox not to work again. I tried System Recover again. No luck this time.

I've looked over all the connection settings, and I can't seem to find anything wrong.

IE works fine, but I'm not going to sell my soul that easily by using it instead of FireFox. And no, I won't use Opera either.

So, uh...help?

: (

I've had a similar problem, except couldn't access certain countries. First system restore worked for a bit, on the second system restore (further back) ran malware program a-squared straight after, also cleared cookies at the same time, seems to be working ok at the moment. So I don't know what fixed it (if it is fixed), can't remember if I did anything else.

FinalDeity said:
I did a quick System Recover just in case something did happen, and it worked again soon after.
That`s usually a sign of spyware.
Run this CCleaner and do some antispyware scans in safe mode.Turn off system restore.

The full treatment is HERE if you need it.
FinalDeity said:
I won't use Opera either.
Opera is zippy and nippy and good.

I've had the exact thing happen. Firefox used to work fine. But then it said there was an update, and a few days later when I went to use Firefox, it acts like it's not connected to the internet. IE works fine. Firefox doesn't load pages at all. I tried uninstalling and downloading Firefox again, but that didn't help. I'm at a loss.

it got to be a bug somewhere you got a trojun on your machine
run CWshredder adaware and hijackthis and post the log in the place for
hijackthis stuff
by the way there was awarning out bout firefox security issue in version 1.5.0.1
dwnld 1.5.0.2 and no issues
firefox has for the most part been extremly stable
where as some version of mozilla suite where not
and I been using since the first version

FF is a small program. Rather then just load the latest, completely UNinstall it and delete any leftovers. Then install the newest version.

Solution for firefox unable to connect problem

I had the same problem as yours. After firefox had finished updates, the problem happened. Firefox even netscape could not connect to any web page except IE. I tried to turn off firewall and disable antivirus software, but firefox still could not connect to web page. I used 4 days to investigate this problem and find a solution. Firefox works fine on my computer now. Hope my solution can help you to solve your problem.

1. uninstall firefox

1. uninstall all old versions java console in the computer

2. install latest version of java console, current version is Jave(TM) 6 update 2.

3. uninstall antivirus software

4. restart the computer

5. change firewall setting: add a program to unblock firefox

5. install firefox

6. install antivirus software

Firefox works!

I have used Firefox for almost 3 years. It has been the most reliable browser. I had only 1 time when I got the 'Firefox has encountered a problem and must close down'- once in 3 years! Came up fine next time. Latest version, which does have security info is v2.0.0.6.

I will tell you though that Firefox does tend to run 'hot' at times. By that I mean the memory usage in the Task Manager will go up, occasionally over 100,000K. (I close it and reopen) I run my homepage with 6 tabs.

No mention is made of security scans, not do you tell us how much installed RAM you have. Th fact that System Restore works briefly, then the problem comes up again could point to a memory problem.

1. How much installed RAM do you have? If you're running Windows XP, you should have at least 512MB.
2. If it's WinXP, do the Error Check: My Computer> right click on Local Drive, usually C> Properties> Tools> Error Check> click to CHECK both boxes> OK> Close out message that comes up> Reboot. If you don't do this as part of your routine maintenance, it will take a while. Let it finish, it will reboot when through.
3. Follow the Error Check by a defrag.
4. Scan with your anti-virus program and at least 2 spyware/adware programs, updating each right before the scan.

Let us know what shape you're in after completing.

NOTE: I do not advise uninstalling OR shutting down the anti-virus program.
(edited typo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back