Firefox/Thunderbird

Status
Not open for further replies.

josbd

Hey all

In the last couple of weeks I have been running Firefox and IE alongside one another. I am very pleased with Firefox, and downloaded Thunderbird too, which seems cool. Now I want to use Firefox as my default browser, and T/Bird instead of OE, since it seems you cannot uninstall IE, much as I would love to!

The problem is this: I have unchecked "ensure IE used as default" in Internet Options; when I go to Add/Remove >Set defaults and change my options there, I either get a box which says it is transferring defaults to T/Bird and Firefox, which never completes the transfer, or I set defaults to T/Bird & Firefox, only for them to revert again.

I must be doing or not doing something very basic here, but I wonder if anyone can help?

OS is W2K Pro.

If you'd like to make Firefox your default browser, it as easy as this...

Open Firefox and click on Tools / Options / General and under the "Default Browser" section, click "check now".

Firebird will now ask you to make it the default browser whenever you click on a webpage etc.. Choose yes.

You can remove the IE icon on the desktop by right clicking on the desktop / Properties / Desktop / Customize Desktop

Originally posted by Rick
If you'd liYou can remove the IE icon on the desktop by right clicking on the desktop / Properties / Desktop / Customize Desktop

Actually, there's no "desktop" section in the display properties in W2K. But to remove the IE icon from the desktop, you can simply drag it to the Recycle Bin & Windows will ask you if you really wish to remove IE from the desktop. Click YES & you're done.:)

I have to say that the Explorer icon was long ago consigned to the bin! I only wish I could consign the whole of IE to the bin, but I understand this is not possible..... dammit.....

It is possible using some third party program.

I don't think you'll want to do that though. I"ve tried it myself and to my surprise, I found than many programs would not intall or work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back