First build - A little input?

maddog8

Hi. I was hoping to get a little input on my proposed first build below. I’d like to know if all these parts will work well together in general and specifically for HD video editing. Beyond editing, I mainly use my computer to download a steady stream of movies, etc, while surfing the net and watching video.

I’ve cherry picked what I consider to be the best parts that I want, but I want to make sure the sum of those parts isn’t less than the whole, if that makes sense. In other words, the parts may look good on paper, but together will they be a great machine or incompatible, etc?

Any help is appreciated, and the more detail the better.

Here’s the proposed build:

CPU: Core i7 950 3.06GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366

Motherboard: Not sure here. $200--$300 max
Maybe: Gigabyte LGA1366 SATA3 ATI CrossFireX ATX
GA-X58A-UD3R
Or: ASUS LGA 1366 Intel X58 Republic of Gamers ATX
Rampage III Formula
So many choices.

RAM: Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator 6 GB 3 x 2 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3
Will eventually double this to 12 GB.

GPU: Again, so many choices. Video editing over gaming, but option to game would be nice.
Was thinking under $200, EVGA brand nVidia, maybe this one:
EVGA GeForce GTS450 FPB 1 GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1T to start, then might upgrade to SDD down the line. Will partition a 60-100 gig chunk for the OS.

DVD: Samsung (already purchased)

Cooling: Still researching this. Any help appreciated. 2 affordable options:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 cpu cooler ($28)
Corsair Hydro H70 ($110) ?

PSU: Is 750 watts enough if I don’t plan on overclocking right away?
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt TX Series 80 Plus
Or: Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750-Watt HX Professional Series 80 Plus

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

Think that's all the parts I need, right?

Thanks again!

I would say that all of your hardware looks pretty good (I can't really judge the motherboards though, don't know a ton about mobos). Depending on your video editing software, you may consider putting two gts450's in SLI because you can get 2 for just below 200. If you editing software won't use both of the cards then its not really worth it. Here is a link to the gts 450 for 102 after rebate including shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...572&cm_re=evga_gts_450-_-14-130-572-_-Product

Quick note about motherboards, pick Gigabyte over ASUS, as gigabyte (imo) is more reliable and better, also it's beginner friendly, and doesn't have stuff like new cpu installed or whatever(referring to another post). By beyond editing, do you mean the 2560 x 1600 displays? If you are then I highly suggest the Radeon hd 6950 or 5870, 6950 supports newer technology but is weaker than the 5870,refer to for any gpu concerns related to its power, also the site will also show you some pricing at the bottom of the page, hope I helped out.

Thanks to all who replied so far. Helpful.

Great1122, how exactly is Gigabyte more "beginner friendly" ?

Thanks!

Back