First video and pictures: Nokia's first Windows phone

Emil

Staff

It's hard to tell if he did this on purpose or if he really did think people would listen to him but either way, Nokia CEO Stephen Elop asked a crowd of people to put away their cameras for the unveiling of something "super confidential." That something is Nokia's first Windows phone, codenamed Sea Ray.

Sea Ray looks nearly identical to the just-announced Meego-based N9 smartphone, but it's running Microsoft's Windows Phone operating system. Nokia spent quite a bit of time explaining why the mobile OS is so great. If you want to see the whole presentation, check out the video embedded below, courtesy of the Hungarian website Technet (via Engadget):

Nokia's first Windows Phone 7 handset(s) will be launching in Europe later this year: France, Germany, UK, Spain, Italy, and the Netherlands have been confirmed. They will be running Windows Phone 7.5 (codenamed Mango).

Four months ago, Nokia announced that it was choosing Microsoft's Windows Phone as its primary smartphone platform. Two months ago, Nokia and Microsoft finally signed a definitive agreement regarding their global mobile ecosystem partnership.

It's generally accepted that Windows Phone is not selling well. AT&T Mobility CEO believes things will start to pick up with Mango and as the Windows Phone Marketplace gains more apps. Nokia CEO Stephen Elop meanwhile argues that Windows Phone scores better than Android and iPhone with consumers, but OEMs are doing their best work for Android. He believes that once Nokia starts doing its best work for Windows Phone, the platform will take off.

Permalink to story.

He believes that once Nokia starts doing its best work for Windows Phone, the platform will take off.

Related Stories

Kind of doubt that but whatever. BTW I LOVE Windows Phone. SLICK.

Meh...
That's one ugly boring phone, actually, I didn't even know Nokia still made phones. Samsung, LG and HTC are much better designs. The Windows 7.5 looks great though. (And I'm an avid Android user)

Cant wait for this. I love Nokia and have been using WM7 on my htc and its a great OS. With mango it looks more live on the Nokia. Every company has had their dark days
...apple had had their share too and we allknow whos 150 million saved their *** in 1997. Good to see two great companies coming together and producing something good for the consumer. A lesson i must say learnt from Apple. As for android.....no class at all. The OS looks just as bland as the google homepage. Your smartphone shouldnt be just an applauncher....time to learn from Microsoft now.

We want Nokia to focus and launch Android phones. But since they r sticking with WP but i have no choice to shift my focus to some other phone vendors

Nice going Nokia...U just shun a potential 50+ Million PStation customers by choosing M$oft W7 epic failed. Sorry... but this already failed with the stress on X-Box. Wont be getting any SONY customers for sure.

Dang that's an ugly phone. Also Android is a poor mans OS, chop chop choppy! Bloated poorly managed code makes the phones crap themselves.

They should have gotten a guy with better English to present the device, this guy turned me off the phone lol

ANDROID looks and functions better than W7.5 . Nokia should have implemented Android. I will never buy a Nokia unless they run Android.

Back