Flickering/text shaking on new samsung 2233sw monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

debojitk

Hi guys,
I bought a samsung 2233sw monitor a month ago, and running with evga 8600gt using D-Sub(VGA) connector.
Now-a-days i am noticing a intermittent flickering or text shaking artifact is displayed on my screen only when i run it in its highest(native) resolution that is 1920x1080 full hdmi. In lower resolution there is no such problem. but in lower resolution the display of the monitor is very poor and showing a text/screen bluring or tearing effect like other tfts.

Can u guys suggest some solution to the problem.

Can dvi-d connection wipe out this sort of problem.

I suppose I'd spring for a DVI cable as a matter of course. It will look better, (assuming everything is working correctly) with the Digital connection

But, I'd really try your monitor on another computer ASAP. >>>(read this as first)<< In case it needs to be RMAed.

It seem's logical to eliminate that first.

The last time I saw anything such as you describe on a computer monitor was with an old Emachines 17" CRT. I think that was due to the degausser. Or maybe RFII.

First, any graphics adapter, even onboard, should be able to display up to 1920 x 1200 even connected via VGA.

So, in no particular order,

bad cable.

Electrical interference

Video driver corrupted or wrong version

Bad video card

Bad monitor.

I bought a Samsung recently, but haven't used it. It has a "driver disc" (?), so much for universal PnP. It was giving me trouble setting the color, brightness and contrast. Don't know if that was the video card driver. But the control sliders were really acting funky.

HI captaincranky,
Thanks for the reply.
But as i told the problem is not always occuring, it is intermittent.
A telephone box and 4 speakers are there surrounding the monitor.
Do u think this may be a problem.
But the same setup was working with my very old 14" crt monitor, but there was no interference.
Even when i bought the system, there was no such flickering problem, it has started recently.
There is no problem for lower resolutions.
I have no other m/c so that i can test it, so would u suggest any s/w that can throughly test my monitor.

Intermittent failure, caused by electrical malfunction. One of the electronic circuits has failed.
Samsungs are normally such great monitors, that you wouldn't expect this.
When it happens, drop it like a hot rock, and get the supplier to replace it. Doubt you would fidn the same problem in another Samsung.

would it happen due to spike signals in the power line, because the power is not very good at my place, several fluctuations are there in the line voltage.
Because it is intermittent thats why i'm asking this.
I talked to samsung service centre, they told me to check the earthing, and said to move the nearby magnetic devices like speakers, phones etc...
what say u?

Did previous monitors work well?
Samsung is very well protected from normal power line problems.
Sounds like Samung is giving you good advice.
A good trial would be through a battery backup unit because the good ones clean up power fluctuations well.
I would not want to use any flat panel monitor on a line that is that far out of standards. It can only lead to early failure.

would it happen due to spike signals in the power line, because the power is not very good at my place, several fluctuations are there in the line voltage.
Because it is intermittent thats why i'm asking this.
I talked to samsung service centre, they told me to check the earthing, and said to move the nearby magnetic devices like speakers, phones etc...
what say u?
And you're unwilling to do this why?

Whatever suggestion somebody has posted, you seem to ignore and ask a different question.

If you think this problem is environmentally produced, you should ask yourself, "what has changed in the past month", or, "what else is going on when it happens".

Now, suffice it to say, we can't magically cause the problem to be something you would like it to be, nor are any of us likely to come to your house and do any of the diagnostic work for you.

So, that leaves you to, put the monitor on another computer, move any potentially interference producing devices further away from the monitor, buy a battery back-up, update the graphics driver, try another video card.

The question of interference was discussed in my first post, I said "RFII", obviously I meant "RFI", (radio frequency interference) I should have said, "EMI" (electromagnetic interference), which is the same thing that Samsung support told you.

Simply put, it isn't going to fix itself, nor is it likely to resolve itself by a further string of questions. And, good luck with that.

We rarely see troubles with Samsung, Sony, HP, LG, Gateway, Toshiba, Sceptre, and ASUS monitors
We always see troubles sooner or later with Envision, ViewSonic, Acer, Synapse, I-Inc, Hundai, and house brands. So this report on a Samsung is a surprise to me. I would have to suspect an outside problem rather than a manufacturing defect.
If you continue to use the Samsung, I suspect you will need a good line conditioner....
But it could be just plain bad... so test it on the computers of friends in good neighborhoods.

We rarely see troubles with Samsung, Sony, HP, LG, Gateway, Toshiba, Sceptre, and ASUS monitors
We always see troubles sooner or later with Envision, ViewSonic, Acer, Synapse, I-Inc, Hundai, and house brands. So this report on a Samsung is a surprise to me. I would have to suspect an outside problem rather than a manufacturing defect.
If you continue to use the Samsung, I suspect you will need a good line conditioner....
But it could be just plain bad... so test it on the computers of friends in good neighborhoods.
Actually we tried the "test it on another computer" route. OP says "I can't do that", so raybay, could you possibly come up with another diagnostic procedure, or perhaps will the problem to be something not requiring any effort on the OP's part.

problem resolved!

Actually we tried the "test it on another computer" route. OP says "I can't do that", so raybay, could you possibly come up with another diagnostic procedure, or perhaps will the problem to be something not requiring any effort on the OP's part.

Sire captaincranky,
Please dont get me wrong for my further questioning.
I was asking the intreference related problem because i was using a 9 yrs old crt monitor with the same setup (surrounded by emi devices), and it never resulted in any such problem, and how can such a modern day monitor would act like this.

I installed the monitor driver bundled with the monitor, also reinstalled the gfx driver nvidia fw 181.20.
I also moved the emi devices off to my monitor.
and it is not showing any problem for last 2 days.
I think the problem have been resolved.
Thanks to all of u.

Regards,
Debojitk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back