FNG needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get a little help with my "issues." I have done some searching and found out that:
1.) My wife should not have bought and emachine
2.) The first time it fried the mobo she should have had the guy replace the PS too

However, she is my new bride and of course I am coming to "rescue" her from the computer woes. The problem is that I am such a freakin' new guy I can't even find a compatible motherboard. Its an emachine t2742... i looked up the specs but can't seem to find a good match of motherboard that will allow me to use the current RAM. Cheap and reliable is what I am going for here as this computer just surf's the net, and "office" type tasks.

Please help me save this computer as it will assist in me winning brownie points that I can turn into certain "rewards" that seem to get more scarce when you get married.

Thank you all!

Well, that ram is OLD. So I wouldn't even try to find a motherboard that takes that because you'd get ripped off. Any motherboard that can take that ram is limited to fairly old processors that aren't anywhere near as powerful as todays.

Based on what you currently have, I'd suggest picking up something like....
MSI Micro Motherboard for $47
Intel Core2Duo 4400 for $133

If thats too expensive you can probably do an Intel Celeron D for $47.

Then pick up 512Megs of PQI RAM for $16. Buy 2 if you want a gig.

Either of those 2 processors will be lots faster than what you currently have and will work with that motherboard, which btw has onboard video so you won't need to worry about a video card.

I know the processor and RAM may be obsolete, but I already have them...and when they worked the were "u to the task." Will I really be ripped off if I just buy something compatible with the old stuff? Obviously I don't want another Mobo from emachines....what are my other options?
thanks

You really don't have any other options. Because I don't think you'll find a motherboard for your current processor for less than $30, and you'd almost certainly have to find it from ebay or craigslist or some other classified ad since I doubt any retailers are going to have them. Essentially same problem with the RAM, you are going to need an old motherboard that nobody carries anymore.

For basically $110 I put together a pretty solid system for you.

But by all means, if you think you want to buy used components off some guy you've never met, for a few dollars less than brand new components that are going to be twice as fast, then go ahead. You asked for advice, and I gave you my recommendations based on many years of experience with hardware.

SNGX1275,
First let me say thank you for your help. I meant no disrespect in suggesting that your idea wasn't "ideal." My budget is stretched thin as my wife just had twin baby girls...

can you also suggest a new power supply. The old one was 250w but do I need to step it up for the new board and processor? Also, will the new processor need a new fan too? thank you

SNGX is correct, when my Asus A7N8X died I tried to find any motherboard to replace it. there are none available anymore. And what motherboards are available mow take DDR2 or DDR3 type RAM. Plus no more AGP slot, PCIe has replaced it.

I had to buy a whole new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back