for us under 18 with a job at pc repair shop

Rockfan1815

Anyone here under the age of 18 have a job at a local computer shop repairing computers. How did you convince them to hire you. I need so tips because I want to get a job at my local pc shop.

Depends on the shop. Some shops are heavy into sales and a "professional" front end. For which they may not want a younger person for.

For just sitting in the back and fixing crap, I don't think age would matter much as long as you present yourself as confident, knowledgeable, and self-assured. In other words, act like a pro, but don't be ****y.
Most people are not impressed that you "built your own PC". If you have any formal training or book learning, use that as leverage.

Its hard

What certifcations do you have? My Local Reapir shop would not even consider me when i didnt have my A+. Even with it, they are reluctant to hire a 16 year old. They say that i need my license so i will be dependable, and that they will hire me after that. So that what i am doing. But i would at least get A+ ,certififed, (its pretty simple.)

Sean

First head over to Comptia:
http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/default.aspx
And read up on the certs they offer.

Then check your local area (colleges, schools) to see if you have a Prometric testing center. They administer the actual test exams.

At the time I took my test, A+ was in 2 parts (hardware/software) and each part cost $132 to take.
Not sure about costs these days, I know the test has changed and been updated a little. And if you fail one of the halves, you'll have to pay full price again to re-take.

Plus it appears they have some vouchers on sale that may reduce your cost.

If you pass A+, great. I would then go after the Network+. With those two, you should be able to get into any basic repair and service job.

I'm 16 and work at my local computer shop, but i did basically do what phantasm said. In the UK the schools make us do "work experience" - usually when we're around 15. We have to go and work 5 days for free somewhere of our choice. It meant that they got a chance to find out what i could do and about 2 weeks after my 16th birthday they phoned me to offer me a saturday job. :)

Back