FPS bomb with new OS?

Until recently, I was still running Windows XP (x86, MCE) and would get 50-60 FPS on WoW (Ultra with Low Shadows, 90-120 on Low). Now, after a reformat and an OS update, I'm running 15-20 FPS (25-30 on Low). I jump up maybe 5-10 FPS if I enable DX11 rather than DX9, but WoW crashes on me within 30 seconds of getting in-game.

Comp specs:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Asus P8P67 (Rev. P67 B3) Motherboard
Intel core i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz
4 GB Corsair RAM @ 1600 MHz
Galaxy nVidia 9500 GT (OC to 800 Core/1700 Shader/400 Mem) with 275.33 drivers
Apevia Warlock 750W Power Supply (I'll be honest; I've never heard of the brand, but the PSU itself has never given me issues)

Does my GPU just have compatibility issues with Win7 so much that I cut my FPS in half by switching from XP to Win7? Nothing else changed about my computer when I upgraded.

Also, I do have an msi nVidia 560 GTX Fermi on the way, but I would like to get this GPU's issue fixed regardless.

That system shouldn't have troubles running comfortably with WoW on x64 Win7, although the graphics card is definitely holding you back as far as I can see (Compared to the rest of the system)

Compatibility looks fine too. Drivers up to date. Looks like your doing everything right. Maybe it's a software issue or something running in the background.

If it was me I would just wait for the replacement card to arrive and cheer as your framerate skyrockets :p.

Someone else might have a better idea than me though.

Hey Rakudjo,

As already pointed out by Norbur your system overall looks fine even with the dated video card. But as suggested make sure you have nothing hogging up resources in the background. Also double check your graphical settings so they are back to your XP values. While I haven't played WoW in a couple years, v-sync and some glare options always did the trick in bumping up my FPS. This next tip may sound strange but did you check to see how the game runs without add-ons? Did you straight up copy over your WTF folder or let the game create a new one from scratch? Sometimes doing so creates odd issues with the game and giving it a clean try might fix it.

Now regarding DX11, your card does not support it so I'm not exactly sure why you would be getting a boost from it. And those original frames on XP are quite high for such a low-end card. Is it possible you had it on lower settings and never noticed? Maybe you played on a lower resolution too?

If all else fails here, you do have a very good card on the way that will no doubt solve all your frame rate issues. You also might be interested in this performance guide from late last year about Cataclysm. Hope this helps.

As for WoW - now with Cata, there's a slider bar that allows you to set general options without changing everything individually. I just slide it to Ultra, then drop Shadows to lowest (because they aren't that impressive and slow down the game tremendously). I run 2x AA, as it gives me fine FPS without looking terrible (as opposed to 16x). My resolution is 1280x1024.
Also, I just copied my folder to an external, and then back again. It's possible my WTF folder didn't like that happening, but I doubt it. And it's pretty cool to hear that my system is pushing out more than expected.

DX11 - I know my card doesn't support it, but I never had the option to use it on XP. The framerate boost never meant much, seeing as how I couldn't stay in-game more than a few seconds, but it was a small jump regardless.

Other games, I've also seen massive lag in TF2 on Win7 as well. I didn't try anything else, I got sick of it too soon.

I reinstalled WinXP with a dual-boot just to check it out - once again, I'm rocking 60 FPS in Org with overclock.

With Win7, I turned down all of my desktop graphics as far as I could (no Aero, Windows Classic theme, etc.). Just as I do with WinXP to push as much out of my games as possible. New card on Tuesday-ish, so whatever. XP's just fine for me for now.

Back