FreeBSD opinions???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperCheetah

Hey guys, I am thinking of whether to use a distro of Linux like Redhat or to go with FreeBSD to run the server, and was wondering which one was better?

I've always heard good things about FreeBSD, but never used it. I just want some user opinions if anyone here has used it or knows of any other forum where FreeBSD users talk about the OS.

I think Redhat and other Linux distros are a little bloated and just want an OS for running a server for a website off of. This is why I'm considering FreeBSD as an alternative. Anyway, enough from me I want to hear what you guys think.

my recommendation for what you want to do (web server) - would be FreeBSD. Thats just a recommendation from what knowledge I have on this subeject (which is limited). So I'd wait to hear what others think before you ultimately decide.

If you install the GUI with a Linux distro, there's gonna be a lot of "bloat". I'd suggest FreeBSD , although if you're running a web server off of it, you may want to look at OpenBSD , from what I hear, OpenBSD is probably the most security oriented OS out there.

you will probably find freeBSD harder to install if you have never done that before. red hat is like totally easy to install these days.... freeBSD is a good bit more challenging....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back