FreeSync on Nvidia GPUs Revisited: 5 New LG Monitors Tested

Great article. Also very important to mention you should always cap framerate to 138fps to completely avoid hitting the Gsync ceiling on 144hz. 160fps for 165hz and 235fps for 240hz, although I doubt at that point you need VRR.

Also worth mentioning every model has different input lag/scanout values depending on whether VRR is On or Off. Asus monitors, for example, usually are slower when you activate Freesync. Benq on the other hand is the opposite. Same with Samsung.

I can confirm that my AOC Q3279VWFD8 works perfectly with my RTX 2060 when G-sync is enabled. Despite there is no LFC support on the monitor (48-75Hz), it is still a wonderful, smooth gaming experience.

Anyone know about the older 21:9 (2560x1080) Freesync LG IPS monitors that only support up to 75Hz? Any reason to think it wouldn't work?
I have the very same question. I have a 29UC88-B, didn't heard about any support

Anyone know about the older 21:9 (2560x1080) Freesync LG IPS monitors that only support up to 75Hz? Any reason to think it wouldn't work on them?
What you can do is give it a try. On our first article we tested two monitors that only went as high as 60Hz, Tim mentioned that FreeSync worked but there was no LFC due to the narrow refresh window. If you have DisplayPort on your monitor and with a little bit of luck, FreeSync should work.

Much appreciation for this write-up. I recently purchased the LG 27UD58-B during BF, which currently is connected to a GTX 680 which doesn't qualify to utilize the G-Sync feature, but based on your finds I guess when I eventually do plan to upgrade to a decent Pascal card sometime this year, I can give this G-Sync compatibility function a whirl to see for myself.

Great article. Also very important to mention you should always cap framerate to 138fps to completely avoid hitting the Gsync ceiling on 144hz. 160fps for 165hz and 235fps for 240hz, although I doubt at that point you need VRR.

Also worth mentioning every model has different input lag/scanout values depending on whether VRR is On or Off. Asus monitors, for example, usually are slower when you activate Freesync. Benq on the other hand is the opposite. Same with Samsung.
One thing to note is DisplayPort 1.4 is limited to 120 Hz at 4K (just noting, since you were probably referring to 1440 or lower), but assuming these monitor companies come out with a high Hz 4K monitor, you would have no reason to go higher than 120 Hz 4K until we see the cables/specs for DisplayPort 1.5.

One thing to note is DisplayPort 1.4 is limited to 120 Hz at 4K (just noting, since you were probably referring to 1440 or lower), but assuming these monitor companies come out with a high Hz 4K monitor, you would have no reason to go higher than 120 Hz 4K until we see the cables/specs for DisplayPort 1.5.

HDMI 2.1 is your answer and is the future!

What you can do is give it a try.
Sooooo, I was hoping for an answer without having to buy a card since I'm currently running a 4GB RX 480 on an LG 34UM-68P that works great with Freesync. However, if you have a spare used nVidia card - I'd be more than happy to test it out for you and report the results! ;-p

I bought Rx590 and tried with several Freesync monitors, be it VA, TN and IPS panels, it was terrible. A very limited window it worked at, most of them 70 -144fps, like what. IPS and VA panels were flickering to the point I felt like vomiting, especially when opening steam overlay or altabing. It introduced horrendous ghosting and smearing on both VA panels I tested it with and a bit of ghosting on IPS ones too.

And reviewers mention the same experience when testing freesync on IPS and VA panels, so either go premium with Gsync or don't bother with freesync at all, pretty much half assed like anything free from AMD.

And I doubt, Nvidia freesync implementation does better.

I bought Rx590 and tried with several Freesync monitors, be it VA, TN and IPS panels, it was terrible. A very limited window it worked at, most of them 70 -144fps, like what. IPS and VA panels were flickering to the point I felt like vomiting, especially when opening steam overlay or altabing. It introduced horrendous ghosting and smearing on both VA panels I tested it with and a bit of ghosting on IPS ones too.

And reviewers mention the same experience when testing freesync on IPS and VA panels, so either go premium with Gsync or don't bother with freesync at all, pretty much half assed like anything free from AMD.

And I doubt, Nvidia freesync implementation does better.

Very strange, I have an RX Vega 64 LC paired with a Quantum Dot MVA Samsung C27FG70 and works like a champ, no flickering. Also my laptop which is an Acer Predator 500 with a Vega 56 GPU and an AU Optronics which is IPS, no flickering either, and both supports LFC.

Anyone know about the older 21:9 (2560x1080) Freesync LG IPS monitors that only support up to 75Hz? Any reason to think it wouldn't work on them?

have one works perfect on it but not a big improvement over 60Hz, more like good to have but not miss it if it was not there.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, would you mind sharing those monitor models you tried? Which one did you finally settle on? Thanks!

VA - Samsung C27FG73, C27HG70 WQHD version, AOC AG322QC4

IPS - Viewsonic VG2719-2K, AOC AG271QG plus some Asus IPS 144hz, I can't find the exact model, can be OC to 165hz. They all use the same panel anyway.

The problem is not in the monitors, the main culprit is that running Freesync turns off/disables overdrive, faster response time modes and thus it introduces ghosting due to the nature of VA, IPS panels /lower response times/. It was especially prominent on VA monitors, because of their G2G and dark colours response time being way slower than on TN and IPS.

FWIW, here's a good explanation on the differences with Freesync, G-Sync, and the monitor's Adaptive Overdrive. https://www.reddit.com/comments/666i4e

Basically sums up the general consensus - that the first monitors with Freesync might have issues, recent Freesync monitors most likely will not, and those in between will just need to be confirmed on a case-by-case basis. Of course as it relates to nVidia - it means Freesync over DP and not HDMI.

I own an LG 32GK850F and I need a new GPU. I'm trying to decide between the Nvidia RTX 2060/2070 Super and the AMD RX 5700 XT. Would I lose out on any of the monitor's FreeSync capabilities by going with the Nvidia card?

A bit late but can someone please address a user review of the LG 32GK650F that stated:

"this is capable of G-Sync... however, the catch is it must be manually enabled and every time the monitor goes to sleep or the computer gets rebooted it must be manually re-enabled."

Thanks!

Hi,

Can you please link the display port cable which you used for testing freesync on LG 24GL600F and got 'no issues' with?

I am asking this because the Display Port 1.4 cable I used caused a lot of flickering on the 'extended' mode.

Thanks in advance.

Back