Freezes and CPU reading lower then normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, well my problem is, about 2 days ago my USB ports started playing up and not recognizing anything, then I read somewhere to disconnect power for a few mins then turn on the comp, and that made them work again, but then today my comp decided to freeze completely for no reason at all (I'm not sure if they are linked or anything though). I wasn't doing anything at the time (I had things open but I wasn't like clicking on stuff or anything), so I restarted it and it got stuck on one of the start up screens. I can get into windows, but then most of the time it freezes again after a few mins, and some times when I restart it again its fine, other times it freezes starting up. I had done a lot of scans with anti-virus etc programs yesterday and they found nothing, It's never done this before and it just did it out of the blue which is confusing. But one thing I have noticed is on the very first start up screen (where you press delete to go to the BIOS settings) it says my CPU is 1.8ghz, it's also said it was 2.8ghz and 3.2ghz (3.2ghz is what it should be) and when I go to properties on my computer it says 2.6ghz, and the program CPU-Z says 2.6ghz as well. Thankfully its given me enough time to write this, I'm thinking (but hoping not) that the CPU may be on its way out (its like 4? years roughly old), everything else seems fine from what I've noticed apart from it reading it wrong and freezing randomly which is making me unsure.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated :)

It's a Pentium 4 505 3.2ghz CPU

Hmm, considering the fact that it's only reading it as a lower frequency, perhaps your CPU isn't failing, instead, perhaps it's throttling due to it's temperatures. That would explain the frequent shut offs as well.

Monitor your CPU's temperatures and if you can't keep your PC on long enough to do that, dust the inside of your case with a can of compressed air, remove the thermal compound you currently have on your CPU/heatsink and reseat it with fresh compound.

If that doesn't solve your issue, I would honestly suspect motherboard failure over CPU failure, but, it's your call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back