Freezing/Artifacts/Gunashoothisthing

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinkeith

Hello there! This is my first post however i have been searching the forums for weeks now for an answer for my graphics issue. If this is the wrong area i appologize please move me to where ever i need to be haha.

I'm not the best with computers so i will do my best to post all i have/know about this issue.

Here is my 'spec' as far as i understand it to be:
Its a Dell XPS710 w/ some upgraded memory and a new vid card(more on this later). The system is approx 1.5yrs old.
ACPi x86-based PC
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600@ 2.4GHz 2.39GHz
NVIDIA Geforce 9800GTX (system came with a 8600GTS)
ST325082 0AS SCSI Disk Device, i assume this is my hard drive?
4GB RAM(4x1gb) 1GB 2Rx8 PC2 5300U-555-12 667MHz (Two of these are the stock "hynix" brand and two of these are Kingston upgrades that i ordered from dell)
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

The stock components are listed above as you see. The memory was ordered right from dell about 7 months ago and i haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary except in my Computer Properties it shows i have 3069 RAM when i have 4x1GB sticks in it. When i look in Setup from the startup it shows i have 4 sticks and all are at 1GB***This is more of a side problem i think. It has always been like this since i put it in.

I upgraded the Video Card about a week ago, the stock GFX card was an Nvidia 8600GTS 256MB. About a week BEFORE i upgraded the video card i kept getting 'lag' while playing games where my screen would lock up then resume itself after 4-5 seconds. Two days later my screen would fuzz up with mass color issues when playing games. The computer would completely freeze and the only way i could fix it was to just unplug it. It would only do this when playing a game and i couldnt be in the game for 15 seconds before it would do the same. I recieved a BSOD* once, listed below. A few months before this i did get a few memory related BSODs however i dont have any of that information and havent gotten any since then. The next day i turned my computer on and got Artifacts on startup. i would sometimes get to login and sometimes it was just stop for about a minute in black screen then restart itself. This is when i turned to websites and spent a long time reading what this could be.
------2/16/09 11:10pm
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: 86138510
BCP2: 8D8BF9A0
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000002
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini021609-02.dmp
C:\Users\Justin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-45661-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Justin\AppData\Local\Temp\WERDDC0.tmp.version.txt

=========================

Pictures of my screen at this point:
Startup:
IMG_0214s.jpg

Sitting at the black screen before a restart:
IMG_0215s.jpg

When i did get to the login screen once:
IMG_0213s.jpg

I figured i needed a new GFX card after all the evidence i was getting. So i went and got one, got the drivers from NVIDIA website as well. My computer worked perfectly and better than ever for about 4 days. On the 5th day i got the same freeze with the same 'fuzz' as last time, again i had to unplug. So its been two days now and ive gotten two freezes in the past couple days AS WELL as a screwed up login screen. I restart and they seem to go away and everything seems fine today.

POST reformat and new GFX card pictures:
Game lockup 1:
IMG_0216s.jpg

Game lockup 2:
IMG_0217s.jpg

Windows:
IMG_0218s.jpg

So thats probably all i can think to explain at this point.

Stuff that i've looked at/tried:
1. Replaced the video card, as u read above
2. Used HWMonitor to check temps as of right now, while internet browsing and idle
Listed as Current/Min/Max
CPU
Core #0 27/24/43
Core #1 28/27/45
GFX
GPU Core 37/36/42

WHILE GAME OPEN
CPU
Core #0 39/24/43
Core #1 40/27/45
GFX
GPU Core 51/36/51

3. Checked my PSU with a multimeter.. the only ones i knew how to check were the 12 and 5. both read 12 and 5 on the meter. HWmonitor or Speedfan wouldnt read the temps OR my fan speeds.

4. I semi checked my memory by putting in one stick at a time in each slot and one at a time, it seems it will read 3069 when i have 3 sticks in but doesnt go above 3069 when i have 4 in however setup reads 4. Each stick in the first slot made the computer run slower than with 4 in but they all seemed to run the computer. I didnt use a memory tester or anything.

So thats all i got, if you need some information from me, let me know what you need and how to find it please!

I may try getting some new memory but the only memory it will accept is either 4200 or 5300. Which sucks cuz thats like the slowestmemory i can find on the market at the moment.

appreciate it!

I went and bought some new RAM today and installed it.. Same problem occurs.

IMG_0223s.jpg

I'm really starting to run out of options here ; / The guy at fry's said it has to be either my RAM or my Motherboard when i showed him the pictures on my phone.

Another note, the ram i purchased was 2x2GB sticks of Kingston brand and when i put the two in the correct dimm slots my computer preferences still only said 3069. So maybe 32-bit only handles that much or what?

guess i'm on my own with this one eh?

Its the stock unit that came with the system from dell. This is what it says on the side.

Dell
Model: N750P-00
Input: 100-120V ~ 13A 50-60Hz
Output:
+12VA 18.0A +5V 16.0A
+12VB 18.0A -12V 0.2A
+12VC 18.0A +3.3V 30.0A
+12VD 16.0A +5VFP 3.0A

Max Combined Power on +5V and +3.3V output is 150w
Max Combined Power on +12VA +12VB +12VC +12VD output is 700w

I ordered the system with the 8600GTS in it so i figured they would have matched the psu correctly.

Its been two days now without a lockup, after i put the new RAM in. I wonder if the RAM and the GFX Card were both going south.

I went and bought some new RAM today and installed it.. Same problem occurs.

IMG_0223s.jpg

I'm really starting to run out of options here ; / The guy at fry's said it has to be either my RAM or my Motherboard when i showed him the pictures on my phone.

Another note, the ram i purchased was 2x2GB sticks of Kingston brand and when i put the two in the correct dimm slots my computer preferences still only said 3069. So maybe 32-bit only handles that much or what?

Vista 32-bit recognizes 3.5GB of RAM for me, but for most I think it is only supposed to recognize 3.0GB.. Who knows.

Keep us updated on whether or not the problem is fully resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back