Fresh set of BSOD's with new RAM :(

Leeky

Hello peeps.

Could you have a ganders over the attached minidumps and see the issue is please?

I got my new RAM, disks and PSU today, and I've just built it back up but its driving me crazy with BSOD's.

I really can't see what the issue is with this bloody thing... I swear I'm cursed. :(

I'm beginning to seriously wonder if the CPU isn't right.

Attachments

• 080911-13587-01.zip
    118.9 KB · Views: 2
All the minidumps say one thing i.e. 0x124 WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, and your system crashed citing OS process right after calling another OS process i.e. hal.dll & kdcom.dll (Kernel Debugger HW Extension DLL).

I frankly can't say what may be the issue here, but before jumping to any conclusion, I would suggest you to see whether there is an BIOS update available for your motherboard.

By the way are you running any AV? If so which one?

Thanks dude. I'm not running any AV at the moment. It seems to be settling now, and hasn't BSOD in a little while, but I don't have much confidence in it right now.

Not sure if there is a BIOS update, but will have a look now. :) My RAM and CPU are supported from the first release of the BIOS though.

Okay good luck, 0x124 can also be caused by drivers, but in your case I am not sure about it just yet. In case there are more BSODs it will be worth trying to run Driver Verifier and force windows to crash and see whether something useful turns up.

Lastly there can always be issues with BIOS regardless of what it supports :)

Me too, because its a fresh install of W7 Pro. I haven't even entered the product key and activated it.

All I've done is installed the drivers from the CD, and Chrome.

It's managed 1.2 hours without a single BSOD whilst backing up my 2TB disk so I can then RAID it, so hopefully it was just a driver or something and now its fine.

If I get anymore I'll attach them, and when the backup has completed (its not managed it yet) I'll see if any updates are due for the motherboard.

Thanks for your help dude :)

Guess I was asking too much for peace... It spent nearly 5 hours backing up fine, and now is messing around again. I've attached the latest 3, hopefully they might shed some light?

Attachments

• 081011-14554-01.zip
    32.4 KB · Views: 1
Code:
1: kd> !whea
Error Source Table @ fffff80002e10b38
0 Error Sources
1: kd> !errrec
1: kd> !errrec fffff80002e10b38
===============================================================================
Common Platform Error Record @ fffff80002e10b38
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Signature     : *** INVALID ***
Revision      : 0.0
Record Id     : 0000000000000000
Severity      : Recoverable (0)
Length        : 0
Creator       : {5c9a8f83-0000-0000-10a0-480000000000}
Notify Type   : {5c9a8f83-0000-0000-10a0-480000000000}
Flags         : 0x00000000

1: kd> !errrec fffffa8007d9e038
Common Platform Error Record @ fffffa8007d9e038
Record Id     : 01cc56e9f8c58266
Severity      : Fatal (1)
Length        : 928
Creator       : Microsoft
Notify Type   : Machine Check Exception
Timestamp     : 8/9/2011 23:13:45
Flags         : 0x00000002 PreviousError

Section 0     : Processor Generic
Descriptor    @ fffffa8007d9e0b8
Section       @ fffffa8007d9e190
Offset        : 344
Length        : 192
Flags         : 0x00000001 Primary
Severity      : Fatal

Proc. Type    : x86/x64
Instr. Set    : x64
Error Type    : BUS error
Operation     : Generic
Flags         : 0x00
Level         : 3
CPU Version   : 0x0000000000100fa0
Processor ID  : 0x0000000000000000

Section 1     : x86/x64 Processor Specific
Descriptor    @ fffffa8007d9e100
Section       @ fffffa8007d9e250
Offset        : 536
Length        : 128

Local APIC Id : 0x0000000000000000
CPU Id        : a0 0f 10 00 00 08 06 00 - 09 20 80 00 ff fb 8b 17
                00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
                00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Proc. Info 0  @ fffffa8007d9e250

Section 2     : x86/x64 MCA
Descriptor    @ fffffa8007d9e148
Section       @ fffffa8007d9e2d0
Offset        : 664
Length        : 264

Error         : BUSLG_OBS_ERR_*_NOTIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 4)
  Status      : 0xba00001000020c0f

I think either motherboard's hyper-transport bus or CPU (less likely IMO, but I can be wrong TBH) is causing these issues.

Do you think I might be wise to RMA the motherboard then? I just find it so odd that this is now two motherboards that have been faulty from two different manufacturers, not to mention I'm now on my second set of RAM.

I'm beginning to suspect the CPU might be at fault, its one of the few parts that hasn't been replaced now.

I know my GPU, disks, SSD, old PSU, and new PSU all work flawlessly with my old Q6600 rig. I've swapped out cables, stripped it and rebuilt the whole computer, I've run it with just the SSD, and I've tried reseating everything.

I've turned on Driver Verifier, and the whole system is running like a dog now. Its slow as hell. It also BSOD whilst transfering some files, so I'll attach that for you to view. Hopefully it will provide something fruitful.

Attachments

• 081011-23649-01.zip
    11 KB · Views: 1
Same error again.

I didn't knew this is second motherboard, and there were errors when I try to read from certain addresses, so I think having already replaced motherboard the processor can be the prime suspect here. Is it in warranty?

Cheers, its now back to running normally. :haha:

I've also just done a BIOS update, as a more recent ROM was available.

EDIT: I'm not too sure, I would imagine so, but I can't find the original receipt for it, so god knows if they will let me RMA without proof of purchase. I'm actually on my second PSU, set of RAM and second motherboard. :haha:

I'm gonna **insert swear word here** torch it at this rate! :(

Its not BSOD since I've updated the BIOS, but its unreliable with how it does it, I can't seem to recreate it, except for when I try to copy huge folders from one disk to another. But the same operation in my Q6600 rig is flawless - So I don't know if doing this in my AMD rig is perhaps highlighting the problem?

Just created a new account with AMD (for RMA) and its taken me 15 mins to get it to work! Unbelievably crap is the only word I can think of! And then I go to start a RMA and they don't even bloody list the X6 CPUs!!! WTF!

I am totally fed up with it now. :(

EDIT: I'm managing to recreate the issue now. If I try to copy any multiple GB folders, it will BSOD before completing the copy action. I have another minidump. I can make it do this over and over now.

I don't know if that helps to zero in on the issue? I know all of my disks (except my newest F4 and F3 Spinpoints) work flawlessly with my Q6600 rig.

I have 2x 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4's running in RAID1, but it was BSOD before I did this. I have updated the BIOS to the latest version. And all my disks appear fine. I don't know if this helps narrow the possible cause?

Attachments

• 081011-15100-01.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 1
I will have a look at this new dump, in the meanwhile one thing which I missed conveying to you earlier on, please do up date your Windows to SP1.

Same error but I couldn't read thread data from address fffff80002f03000 giving me error reading memory message.

Do you have a spare HDD, on you can which can install / run*, then see how that works out ? I think the best approach would be minimize to only very essential hardware.

* It is desirable if there is no RAID setup is present.

I'll strip it out of the case later on then, and run it solely off of the SSD. I'll have another GPU to use then as well, so will try that, and will literally run the barebones of hardware and see what happens.

Thanks for viewing them Archean, and for your advice, it is much appreciated :)

I'll report back with my findings later mate :)

You are most welcome.

Will wait for the results and hopefully we can find something more useful as well.

Well I've stripped it right down, and now have only the optical disc, SSD, PSU, motherboard, RAM, and a HD3650 running. Installed a fresh install of W7, and updated the drivers using the CD (as some weren't configured).

The BIOS is at latest version, and all drivers are installed.

If I run Prime 95 it quits in under a second and reboots, yet appears stable on the desktop.

I've attached the last 2 BSOD's in case it offers anything fruitful?

Attachments

• 081011-17877-01.zip
    21.8 KB · Views: 1
If I run Prime 95 it quits in under a second and reboots, yet appears stable on the desktop.

I would say it is an indication that after all your CPU has gone a bit wonky.

As with minidumps, same old story 0x124 AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRV error. I think it is time you send this processor back to AMD and ask them to replace it.

Oh by the way I heard that Sneijder is heading for MU ?

Yeah, guess its time I tried that route, and I'll have to hope they'll let me RMA it even without a receipt. If not, I guess my new GPU will have to wait. :haha:

Thanks for your help Archean :)

I dunno about Sneijder, though it would be a great addition.

Good luck mate :)

Oh and yes he is talking with SAF, I think he wants 200k-250k a week salary.

Yes, makes one wonder why did we ever went to college, time spent in a football field seems to be a lot more profitable proposition (provided one have talent to make to the top flight ....... ).

Back