Fried CPU, What can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrhk

Other than buying a new one what can I do to try and make this thing work. If freezing hardrives makes them new again and using erases to clean gold contacts work than maybe there's something crazy for the processor.

Well, if it smells like KFC (or the silicon equivalent), the bad news is there's nothing you can do.

If its just bent pins, just unbend them, and it works like a charm.

If it got wet, just let it dry for a couple of weeks, it should work.

If you forgot to put the heatsink on, and weird smoke starting coming out, like a genie was trying to get out of the CPU, bad news. The genie doesn't do wishes, and he wants you to buy a new CPU.

Same if you put too many volts in, irrespective of the smoke.

Basicly someone knocked over the heatsink on the computer while I was testing the heatsink and didn't secure it completely so the comp kept running without the heatsink and burned up. Nothing I can do here?

Thanks for the help

You sure its fried?

All modern CPUs have been designed to shut off automatically from overheating. Its a protective feature.

If it doesn't work (motherboard beeps indicate so), then its probably permanently damaged.

I'm not getting a POST at all and theres a no signal on the screen. I switched out all the components on my computer, RAM, Motherboard, Vid Card, PSU ect. and there's been no change. The CPU doens't heat up anymore which I suspect means it's no working. The only other thing I can see that could be faulty is the motherboard since the second motherboard I used was a faulty one anyways but not to the point where it wouldn't boot. I'm basicly positive it's the processor.

If there's nothing I can do I guess I'll buy a new one. How much of a performence loss can I except if I buy a 2.26 GHz processor vs a 3.2 Ghz, P4?

Thanks in advance

A brand new Core2Duo running at 1.86Ghz will outperform a 3.2Ghz P4.

And I don't remember any P4s which run at 2.26, so I'm assuming you're changing your CPU into something non-P4. If this is the case, you'd need to say what processor it is, cos like the example above, it can be a performance boost instead.

secondly, the motherboard should still make some beeping noises with a faulty CPU. You might want to check out the reason why its not beeping....

My bad, that was a Celelron D processor. You can't fit a Conroe into my type of motherboard can you, that would be incredible if you could. I guess I'll go with the 2.8 Ghz CPU for $72 or the 3.0 for $80, which one is more worth it and how much of a performence downgrade can I expect from this?

Thanks for all the help thus far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back