Fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have a HP Pavilion n465c - Frankenstein version. I call it that because I upgraded the HDD, the video card to an ATI X850XT, and boosted the ram to 1gb.

Anyway, I took the ram out to try it out on a computer that I'm attempting to fix for a friend. I put the ram back and tried to start my computer but it won't start up. I took out the ram that I first removed and it still didn't work, I took out the video card, nothing.

The CPU and tower fans still start spinning, I can hear the hum of the HDD and the fan on the video card still spins also, the light on the onboard ethernet still comes on as well. The CD drives open and close as usual.

On the other hand, the lights on my keyboard do not turn on. (It's an eclipse keyboard with lighted keys) and my optical mouse doesn't turn on. My monitor stays off and there is no BIOS or any type of loading screen.

Lastly, the motherboard hasn't given me the normal somethings-wrong beeps. When I plug the power cord back into the tower it all powers up automatically. No need to press the power button.

Any ideas?

Yes, I did. I read from another post about disconnecting everything, I did that and the BIOS did indeed come up. Once I put that stick back in, it had the same problem. So, I'm assuming it's the RAM. Or could it be something else?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It looks like your ram is fried I`m afraid. You need to try another stick of ram, hopefully that`ll do the trick.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Yep, I switched out the ram and viola, all good. Any idea how ram can stop a mobo in its tracks? Kill the BIOS, etc.

With a dead stick of ram in the dimm slot, a system just won`t boot up. It`s as simple as that really.

Whether the ram got fried in your friends computer or it was fried due to static when you were handling it I don`t know.

I`m glad your problem is solved.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back