Front I/O audio problems with new sound card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've recently upgraded my sound to a sound card instead of the Realtek AC '97 onboard stuff on my motherboard (MSI K9N4 SLI-F). I upgraded b/c I was having issues with people and sounds altering periodically (I play WoW religiously and use Ventrilo. Vocals from Vent were getting erratic, in that they'd swap channels periodically or they'd become lower or higher than norm w/out reason). I purchased a Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound card along with another video card (same exact card that I'm already running, now running SLi). After installing both cards, I started to experience issues with video. After doing the trial-and-error thing, I found out that the drivers from the onboard sound and the new sound card were the culprits. I disabled the onboard sound in BIOS and got the latest-&-greatest from Creative Labs and things worked fine. Because of disabling the onboard sound, I disconnected the front I/O jumpers from the mobo and just used some Y-connectors to put my headset and speaker connections into the sound card. Problem with that was that I was having issues with sound quality, so I decided to put the jumpers back on the mobo. There are multiple jumpers for my front I/O (on a Cooler Master CM690 case): one for AC '97, one for Audio HD and then separate jumpers for each wire. I tried both the one for AC '97 and Audio HD to no avail. The onboard audio is still disabled. The first thing you'd think to do would be to re-enable the onboard audio thru BIOS, but I don't want to run into the driver conflictions that I had previously.

Am I going about things the wrong way or are there issues that I'm not thinking of?

you mean you split the sound using the Y cable?to your headset & speakers?
that will deteriorate the amplification/signal of the sound coming from your PC.

have you tried setting your sondcard's sound manager to set your headset to a dedicated sound output of the soundcard? ie:headset surround.

what type of speakers do you have?does it have a headphone output?
if it does,try plugging your headphone jack to that socket.

Yes, I used a Y-cable as a quick fix, and yes, the sound sucked, but at the time it was the only option available (found it out before I needed to get onto Vent for a raid).

Changing the sound output from the manager doesn't change anything.

Speakers, I've got an old Altec Lansing 4 channel with subwoofer and there's no headphone output that I can find.

Thanks for your help though. Gave me some things to check out.

well,as i read your first post.i know you got the knowledge on how to work
with your audio's in & out lines.

goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back