FYI: Do not use Folder Lock - it is crap

temporae

Thankfully free of any issues for the moment, so I figured I would make my first thread about my most recent mistake in the software field.

For the unfamiliar, Folder Lock is a program that is supposed to be able to secure files in something called "Lockers" and give the option to encrypt that data as well.

I tried it on a folder just under 4 GB, and wanted to *headdesk* as soon as I tried to undo what I had done. It locked the data well enough, then when I tried to open it, the program attempted to create a virtual drive on my computer where the data would be accessible. Only it wasn't! Every time I clicked on this new virtual drive, it kept saying it needed to be reformatted.

The whole program was one huge frustration. Ironically enough, this is one time where 'System Restore' saved my data when I least expected it to work. But seriously, I've heard of other programs doing better jobs securing data than this. (something like TrueCrypt I've heard works well, plus its freeware)

Carry on~

Thanks for the advice.

There's always some risk associated with the use of such locking-encrypting software. If something goes wrong, your data can remain inaccessible for ever.

It would thus be advisable to have a backup of locked data...locked physically but unlocked electronically, somewhere else.

Back