G.Skill claims the DDR4 overclocking world record

Scorpus

Staff member

skill ddr4 memory ram overclocking g.skill world record

G.Skill has claimed the world record for the fastest, overclocked DDR4 memory by boosting a single 4GB module of their Ripjaws 4 Series DDR4 RAM up to 4,255 MHz with timings of 18-18-18-63. As the modules are typically clocked at 2,400 MHz, G.Skill managed to add an extra 1,855 MHz with liquid nitrogen cooling.

The company achieved this record on an Asus Rampage V Extreme motherboard with an Intel Core i7-5960X, the highest-end consumer-grade CPU from the chip manufacturer. Although the X99 chipset and CPU support quad-channel memory, apparently running just one stick of DDR4 in a single-channel configuration is better for overclocking records.

While the feat is certainly cool, it's worth nothing that increasing the speed of your memory to such a ridiculous level probably won't improve the performance of your system by all that much. Memory performance typically isn't a bottleneck in anyone's PC: it's more likely your system is limited by CPU, GPU or storage performance.

In fact moving from DDR3 to DDR4 memory won't make a huge difference in the speed of your PC, at least initially. Memory performance is usually several years ahead of what anyone would need in their systems, and a typical stick of DDR3-1600 is more than enough for most users, especially in multi-channel setups.

However it just goes to show how fast you can make DDR4 memory go if you really push it, especially with a healthy supply of liquid nitrogen to keep it running ultra-cool.

Permalink to story.

This would be impressive if they achieved said overclock across a quad channel array, overclocking a single stick on a single channel is so bloody pointless. The original quad channel setup at stock speeds will outperform a 77% overclocked single channel any day. It's not like there are any benchmarks that will show any advantage to a single channel setup vs a multi channel setup like super pi for CPU's. How this has any effect on advancing the technology at hand is not obvious if at all present.

I think it's OK for a proof of concept, still on early stages of DDR4 deployment. When they can tune up the timings across all DIMMs to allow use in multi-channel setups they'll have a winner in their hands -even if they lower the clock frequencies a bit to not require liquid nitrogen all the time.

Just in case you wonder why the typing is so messed up this is thanks to the iPhone dictation I don't feel like you know typing with two fingers and the comment isn't important enough for me to go back and edit it so try to read it phonetically and try to understand it
Yeah I know, decent written English is of no concern. The massive leaps forward in mobile technology are what we need to be applauding.

Just think, another generation of phone technology, and we won't even be able to understand the correction. Keep up the good work..(y)

FWIW, I understood your first semi-cryptic message. But then, I've been here for quite a while, and I've seen much worse.

Back