Galaxy Note 5 design flaw could cause irreparable damage

Shawn Knight

Staff member

An apparent design flaw has been uncovered on Samsung’s new Galaxy Note 5 that could render one of its key features unusable.

Samsung’s Galaxy Note 5, one of two new phablets that went on sale late last week, features a redesigned S Pen slot that’s spring-loaded for easy access. The problem, however, lies when it’s time to reinsert the S Pen back into its slot after use.

On earlier models like the Note 4, the stylus could only slide back into its slot in the correct orientation (unless you Hulk-smashed it in backwards, at which point the force required to do so would tell you something wasn’t right). With the Note 5, sliding the S Pen back into place the wrong way (end-first) provides the same amount of resistance as sliding it in normally… and that’s a big problem.

As Android Police first found out (and others have confirmed), inserting the stylus in backwards past a certain point will cause it to get stuck. When that happens, the obvious action is to try and remove it. The publication notes that you’ll almost certainly be able to free it but in the process, it’ll break the internal mechanism used to detect whether or not the stylus is attached to the handset.

Curiously enough, Samsung is seemingly aware of the issue. In the official manual, it explicitly states that inserting the S Pen the wrong way can cause it to become stuck and damage both the stylus and the phone.

Android Police hypothesizes that Samsung was aware of the obvious design flaw but chose not to correct it (perhaps it was detected too far into the manufacturing process). The small disclaimer in the manual may cover the company when people inevitably try to have the device repaired or replaced under warranty.

In reality, hardly anyone reads the manual until after they’ve hit a snag and in this case, the damage will have already occurred.

Permalink to story.

So, during the design process, nobody foresaw the need for a risen/expanded end cap to prevent incorrect insertion? That's... daft beyond belief.

It is like of of those very useful notes like this one:

- If your smartphone doesn't fit into your pocket horizontally (in a landscape mode), try to put it in vertically instead.

Other than that, I am seriously considering to buy Note 5. Just waiting for iPhone 6S announcement next month, to make up my mind between the two.

Last edited:
Amazing how my Note 3's stylus cannot be inserted backwards all thanks to the end cap of it being wider than the hole. How did they not just continue doing what they already did in the older phones?

Amazing how my Note 3's stylus cannot be inserted backwards all thanks to the end cap of it being wider than the hole. How did they not just continue doing what they already did in the older phones?

They went full retard. Never go full retard.

They went full retard. Never go full retard.

My thoughts EXACTLY! lol
Sometimes it's difficult to find the words that would adequately describe the "stupid" that happens.

Well, the OBVIOUS answer is DON'T INSERT IT BACKWARDS.
You can damage a usb port cramming something into it improperly to.
Some of the public coin op machines I work on have public access to usb ports.
I can't tell you how many I've replaced. Why do you think apple released their
universal port, and why USB-C has been developed? Because consumers DO NOT
pay attention to what they are doing! You have to make things ***** proof, the problem
is, *****s get smarter!

pay attention to what they are doing! You have to make things ***** proof, the problem
is, *****s get smarter!

I take it you're the one guy on earth who's never mistakenly handled a device ever. Congratulations.

is, *****s get smarter!
I still don't see how anyone can insert the stylus backwards considering they would have to flip it over in order to insert it the wrong way and why the hell would you do that?

Well if that's the case then there should be a warning notification on the device just like there should be a warning notification on the cars these halfwits who try to put the pen in backwards:
"Try not to drive into immovable objects otherwise you may cause irreparable damage to the vehicle, 3rd parties and yourself, most likely all three".
Maybe that won't work. If a person tries to force the pen in backwards into the phone, what's the chances they can read?

is, *****s get smarter!

Nothing can be 100% ***** proof, someone somewhere will always take the crown for being so stupid they intentionally try to break the 100% ***** proof thing just to be the "A Hole" that can then go back to the manufacturer and raise a stink.

BTW said USB ports you have to replace, do they provide power? Or simply a data link, likely people are trying to charge their phones, realize it doesn't charge their phone and take the "A Hole" route I mentioned earlier and purposely break the USB port because they couldn't get a free charge out of it.

Just when you think you've seen a human being be as stupid as they could possibly be, someone steps it up and surpasses them, almost just to one up the previous guy. That's how ****ed society and people in general are getting.

Samsung should have caught this flaw and addressed it, they did not, lets see how long it takes an American to sue.

On earlier models like the Note 4, the stylus could only slide back into its slot in the correct orientation (unless you Hulk-smashed it in backwards, at which point the force required to do so would tell you something wasn’t right

This information is incorrect. The Note 4 can be insterted either way. No hulk smashing neccessary. This however, could be true for the other older models.

Sorry if someone has already corrected me on this, even if it's beside the point.

On earlier models like the Note 4, the stylus could only slide back into its slot in the correct orientation (unless you Hulk-smashed it in backwards, at which point the force required to do so would tell you something wasn’t right

This information is incorrect. The Note 4 can be insterted either way. No hulk smashing neccessary. This however, could be true for the other older models.

Sorry if someone has already corrected me on this, even if it's beside the point.

Oh wait.. this article isnt implying if you turned it and inserted it, its saying if you jam the wrong end in first? This is a little confusing, but is made clearer by finishing the paragraph. In older models, you also couldnt turn the pin around and insert it. There literally was only one orientation the pen could be inserted. Sorry for my confusion.

Besides, who spends this kind of money on something and treat it this poorly? To not even pay attention to the way you insert the pen? Maybe you should have bought the iPhone....

mod note- merged 3 posts into 1

Last edited by a moderator:
When I read things like this it just makes me want to give those chinese guys like huawei or however you spell it etc a chance instead of mainstream companies such as samsung

I have the exact same problem but with my car, I tried to go through a building and it damaged my car and now I'm being sued, why didnt my car and the building come with a warning saying you cant go through it? there was a door so I surely thought my car could go through it.

its obviously a design flaw with the car and the building, hope it gets fixed soon!

Let no one use your Note 5, problem solved. I wouldn't dare let a kid play with it especially for an uber expensive toy!

Back