Galaxy S5 coming in March or April, Samsung studying eye-scan security

Jos

Staff

galaxy s5 samsung galaxy note galaxy gear samsung galaxy s5

As the Galaxy S4 approaches its first anniversary on the market Samsung has begun dropping hints about its much anticipated successor. In a Bloomberg News interview at CES 2014, the company’s executive vice president of marketing Young-hee Lee claimed that they’re targeting the same March - April launch timeframe of their past few flagships, while briefly commenting on potential features and design changes.

On the latter, Young-hee aknowledges that physical similarities between the S3 and S4 left many feeling a little underwhelmed. The Galaxy S4 launch was strong but it didn’t quite replicate the success of the S3 launch. For the S5, the company says it will go back to basics, focusing on the display and the feel of the cover. He didn’t offer any further hints although past rumors have pointed to a metal chasis instead of plastic.

The executive also commented on rumors of an iris scanner feature saying that many people are ‘fanatical’ about it and that they are studying the possibility. This would of course be Samsung’s response to the fingerprint scanner in Apple's iPhone 5S but whether it makes it to the S5 in the March - April timeframe is uncertain.

Aside from its flagship smartphone, Young-hee says we can expect a successor to the Gear smartwatch to arrive around the same time with a less bulky design and more advanced features. A new Galaxy Note phablet for those who prefer massive screens is scheduled to arrive in the second half of 2014.

Image via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Eye scanning, hmm... my first thought was a sarcastic 'Good, I hate having to touch my phone while I'm holding it.' But advanced eye-scanning could be very cool. Imagine if your phone knew exactly where you were looking and then you just had to tap the back or something to 'click' You could look around your phone's screen while tapping and control everything much faster and more accurately than you could with a finger.

Think if they could put this technology on a regular computer? You'd be able to use the keyboard and move the cursor with your eyes... that's like using the mouse and keyboard together! Who wouldn't love a third hand?!

I also wonder about it being called the S5. Apple went to the iPad Air instead of 5, if this is a revamp for the Galaxy line, they'll probably give it some sort of cool name instead of 5. Probably some sort of space word similar to Galaxy like nebula or something.

I bought the Note 3, I was somewhat underwhelmed with the changes and new features as well. I gave my Note 2 to my gf. Sometimes I yearn to grab her phone now and play with it because of the screen quality as well!

I'm glad that I did not purchase the Galaxy Gear, it's just overpriced for what it can do.... and for someone who never even wears a watch, this thing would be annoying as hell. Hopefully the new design is much slimmer and more advanced, then I might considering the $300 price tag.

Eye scanning, hmm... my first thought was a sarcastic 'Good, I hate having to touch my phone while I'm holding it.' But advanced eye-scanning could be very cool. Imagine if your phone knew exactly where you were looking and then you just had to tap the back or something to 'click' You could look around your phone's screen while tapping and control everything much faster and more accurately than you could with a finger.

Think if they could put this technology on a regular computer? You'd be able to use the keyboard and move the cursor with your eyes... that's like using the mouse and keyboard together! Who wouldn't love a third hand?!

I think this is what we're all waiting for. A coworker of mine and myself have talked about this quite a bit... I'm so ready to just keep my hands on the keyboard at all times. (except with maybe gaming) But this feature would be very nice, especially during gaming! lol

Man I can't wait for the 5s to come out !! one thing I really want samsung to fix is the Lag. .. I really like my GS4 but I hate the Lag

Man I can't wait for the 5s to come out !! one thing I really want samsung to fix is the Lag. .. I really like my GS4 but I hate the Lag
Maybe you can explain it to me but I don't understand why people feel the need to upgrade their phones so often, when their current phone is barely a year old (GS4 released in April 2013). I can maybe understand when ones phone gets 2 or 3 years old and its age starts showing, but even when looking at a GS3 its still current, almost nothing sets the GS4 apart from it, at least nothing of significance. I am on a contract, which sees me upgrade every 2 years but at no additional cost, so unless the same is happening for you, you either have large sums of money burning a hole in your wallet or its a status thing, who has the bigger phone. Android is largely an inefficient OS, hence the lag on the kind of hardware that the GS4 boasts, granted it gets better with every revision, but none the less still has significant bloat, not including all of Google's spyware services. Ironically, the same has been said about windows and I find it funny that a Linux derivative finds itself in a similar situation, but that's just me. I wager the GS5 will have much the same issue, but I still have no idea why people line up in droves, exactly like the Apple fanatics, to claim a device that is at most only slightly faster, maybe slightly larger / thinner, with a screen resolution that the human eye cant discern at that size anyway. Oh and lets not forget the huge amount of gimmicks that is usually thrown in that is cool for all of 6 seconds before it is turned off because it doesn't work well enough, to cumbersome to actually use and adds zero value but lots of flash, and is most likely turned off because it uses too many resources contributing to the already sluggish OS's lag. I thought the GS3 was a good phone, the GS4 not so much, kind of like a GS 3.1. Samsung and Apple make obnoxious amounts of money out of these people that must have the next greatest thing, and there are many of them. Maybe I'm being old school, but I don't see the need to rush out the door unless what I have is already showing its age and like I mentioned above, the GS3 is still very much current tech.

Oh goody its best to treat "smart" phone release like the next iteration of COD or BF lol

damn no kidding...

I will have to check this out in person when released!

I wonder what that is going to do for the battery life of this model.
Yeah its crazy. Samsung ditched the high-resolution screen on their notebook because it was eating up battery life.

Maybe you can explain it to me but I don't understand why people feel the need to upgrade their phones so often, when their current phone is barely a year old (GS4 released in April 2013). I can maybe understand when ones phone gets 2 or 3 years old and its age starts showing, but even when looking at a GS3 its still current, almost nothing sets the GS4 apart from it, at least nothing of significance. I am on a contract, which sees me upgrade every 2 years but at no additional cost, so unless the same is happening for you, you either have large sums of money burning a hole in your wallet or its a status thing, who has the bigger phone. Android is largely an inefficient OS, hence the lag on the kind of hardware that the GS4 boasts, granted it gets better with every revision, but none the less still has significant bloat, not including all of Google's spyware services. Ironically, the same has been said about windows and I find it funny that a Linux derivative finds itself in a similar situation, but that's just me. I wager the GS5 will have much the same issue, but I still have no idea why people line up in droves, exactly like the Apple fanatics, to claim a device that is at most only slightly faster, maybe slightly larger / thinner, with a screen resolution that the human eye cant discern at that size anyway. Oh and lets not forget the huge amount of gimmicks that is usually thrown in that is cool for all of 6 seconds before it is turned off because it doesn't work well enough, to cumbersome to actually use and adds zero value but lots of flash, and is most likely turned off because it uses too many resources contributing to the already sluggish OS's lag. I thought the GS3 was a good phone, the GS4 not so much, kind of like a GS 3.1. Samsung and Apple make obnoxious amounts of money out of these people that must have the next greatest thing, and there are many of them. Maybe I'm being old school, but I don't see the need to rush out the door unless what I have is already showing its age and like I mentioned above, the GS3 is still very much current tech.

you have a point, but even after update my gs4 to the later update there lag problem still there. but you right I should keep the phone for 1 or 2 year more!.

What? only 2560x1440P resolution? I want 4K resolution on my 5 inch phone!! :p

If eye scanning works anything like facial recognition unlock on the S4, it is going to be horrible. I have an S4 as my work phone and figured facial recognition would be more secure than a swipe pattern and I didn't want to type a code every time. Tried it for a day, and apparently the lighting has to be perfect for it to work.

I will have to skip the S5. No new phone for me until may 2015 with att making have your phone for 2 years. Galaxy S6 for me. But I love my S4.

Back