.game domain names now available for purchase

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Are you an aspiring developer or someone with an intense admiration for gaming? Have you longed to own a domain that represents your love of gaming or your next project? If so, you’re in luck as you can now purchase your very own .game domain.

Domain name registration services provider Uniregistry is in charge of the new .game extensions.

Virtually all of the leading gaming brands snapped up their respective extensions on or before launch day. Blizzard, for example, purchased Warcraft, Starcraft, Hearthstone, Diablo and Heroes of the Storm domain names during the early trademark registration period and added Overwatch.game on launch day.

Predictably, Activision scooped up Call of Duty, Take-Two Interactive registered Grand Theft Auto, Microsoft grabbed Minecraft and so on.

Amanda Fessenden, director of registry business operations for Uniregistry, said that while they are excited to see existing game companies acquire their .game domain names, they are even more excited by what will come next – the creation of websites, marketing campaigns and games themselves built on the new domains.

Frank Schilling, managing director of Uniregistry, correctly points out that these high-value early registrations could become a category-defining business.

Perhaps more importantly, however, is the fact that registration is now open to the general public. If you’ve been floating the idea of registering a gaming-related domain or simply have a good name in mind that someone else may want down the road, now is the time to act. Opportunities like this don’t come around very often.

Image courtesy ShutterStock

Permalink to story.

Any pricing??

Edit: After a quick google round, tried fair.game for $1950 ...this is clearly not supposed to be for the common people =P

Any pricing??

Edit: After a quick google round, tried fair.game for $1950 ...this is clearly not supposed to be for the common people =P

I think you went to the wrong place. I'm getting $20/month. It looks like squatters have started already though. Try typing in titles of major game series. Most are already taken.

LOL u got a .game for $20?? that's impossible. Cheapest I found is Godaddy for almost $360 A YEAR! Nice try. Ripoff.

I think you went to the wrong place. I'm getting $20/month. It looks like squatters have started already though. Try typing in titles of major game series. Most are already taken.

LOL u got a .game for $20?? that's impossible. Cheapest I found is Godaddy for almost $360 A YEAR! Nice try. Ripoff.

You state that's impossible yet you haven't checked every website and my figure isn't that far off from yours. I could understand saying it's impossible for a physical product but this is digital and pricing will vary.

Dude I call BS. Either you share WHERE you can get .game domains for twenty bucks or you're full of it. Bottom pricing is set by the .game launchers and it's more than $300 dollars. Get ur facts straight bro.

You state that's impossible yet you haven't checked every website and my figure isn't that far off from yours. I could understand saying it's impossible for a physical product but this is digital and pricing will vary.

He does have a point, you don't get monthly domains (Or at least you didn't), at least on a yearly basis or that is the standard. So for between saying you can get a domain for $20 instead of $20 for month, it's a huge difference.

Yeah I never noticed the /month part... dumb me.

Still, it's not meant for the common folks, which kinds of sucks I really wanted a fair.game mail lol

Not sure what type of dufus pays more than $10 bucks for a domain PER YEAR. Seriously, unless you are a games company you CAN'T afford a .game domain!! AM I right? For $360 I get a GeForce 1070 lol

I find it lame. We shouldn't have domain extensions or whatever it's called for every category out there. I find sticking to .com, .net, .org to be sufficient I mean what's next? Some random a-hole or company is going to start charging people for .video, or .movie, or .music, and then people are going to pay them millions of dollars for the innovation? And what's the point, for every .game they get, the video game company is also going to have a .com equivalent. Nintendo already has metroid.com, so now they're going to pay a yearly fee to have a metroid.game?

I find it lame. We shouldn't have domain extensions or whatever it's called for every category out there. I find sticking to .com, .net, .org to be sufficient I mean what's next? Some random a-hole or company is going to start charging people for .video, or .movie, or .music, and then people are going to pay them millions of dollars for the innovation? And what's the point, for every .game they get, the video game company is also going to have a .com equivalent. Nintendo already has metroid.com, so now they're going to pay a yearly fee to have a metroid.game?

I have to agree. My initial thoughts are that this is just a cash grab by the people who conceived the idea. Is metroid.game all that much better than metroid.com? If it had been a choice from the beginning, sure, metroid.game would have been fine. But now that the internet is already fairly well established, what's the point? What are the pros if any? "Too little too late? We don't need you now." are some of my thoughts. Especially at a premium. Now if you could convert your .com to .game for free, that's something to think about I guess.

Edit: This article does have me thinking. Does anybody know how (if its even possible) to restrict Google searches to a top-level domain? Like, show me all "Warcraft 3" hits in the .game domain? Now, if that's possible, that would be a pro (or con depending on your viewpoint).

Last edited:
Yeah bro, do a "site:.game warcraft" search in google.

That seems to work, although I just did a "site:.game" Google search. There were about 60 hits. None with the word "Warcraft". So, right now it would only hurt me to use Google search this way. And other sites already established who don't buy into the .game domain won't be found either. So, atm, I still see this having little value. Another wait and see issue.

If Google brought the idea of restricting a search to a single top-level domain to the masses then this would be better.

Back