Game freezes after starting, video prob?

Status
Not open for further replies.
here are my specs:

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce4 MX 4000
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0185&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_C1
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (16 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Default Monitor
Monitor Max Res:
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9371 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
System Model: K7S41GX
BIOS: Version 1.00
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) 2400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
Memory: 256MB RAM
Page File: 292MB used, 324MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

well, heres the thing, everytime i try to run a game, after patching, the screen just freezes, the mouse won't move, the keyboard isn't responding, to resolve this i simply force the comp off.

i mean, any game freezes may it be GBA (thats 2D ppl!), ragnarok, rohan, mu,.. everything won't work, even if the game is offline, diablo won't work, sacred, too..

about sacred,... when we bought this pc, sacred 1 has already been istalled, and it worked fine, but then i got stuck with the mule bug and uninstalled the game,.. a year later, i install it again, and it won't work! but it was working fine allitle while back, we didn't change any of our hardware, and i doubt sacred updates like online games,.. help?

and sometimes, the comp will make funny sounds and then a blue screen pops up sayin i have a prob with a file called "nv4_disp.dll"

whats the problem??

thanks, it would really be great if someone could help me w/ this so annoying prob,..

Hi QueenB,

I've seen the nv4_disp.dll problem before, I think the display driver gets stuck in an infinite loop.

Try using the Omega nVidia drivers (the latest 'real' nVidia drivers are unlikely to support your 'old' graphics card). http://www.omegadrivers.net/nvidia.php

I'd run the dxdiags tests after installation, too - sometimes games don't work until its' been run <puzzles me>

I also think your page file setting is way too low (but it is the default installation size), I would try a fixed size of 1024Mb min and max.

Good luck,

Taff.

Oh! thanks a lot taff!

hmm,.. I'll be honest, i don't know everything about a comp, but i know my why around it,... i just have to ask,.. whats a 'page file setting' i've never heard that before,..

and will this new driver remove the infinite loop thing?

thanks so much!

i really appreciate it!

"QueenB"

The page file is an area of hard drive space that Windows uses for temporary storage instead of using RAM or when there is not enough system RAM. Some games will not run if the page file is too small.

To change this, press Windows key+Pause/Break, select the Advanced tab, in Performance press Settings, select the Advanced tab, Virtual Memory, press Change. Select Custom size and type 1024 for Initial and Maximum sizes and press Set. Ok your way back out and it will tell you you must reboot to make the changes.

To deal with the driver nv_disp.dll issue, I'll paraphrase the technique recommended by Route44
Do the following and get back to us with the results:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro (free version) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest driver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.
The latest drivers from nvidia are at https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/11614/ or the drivers from the earlier post should be fine.

I found the free version of Driver cleaner Pro to be available from http://driver-cleaner-pro.software.informer.com/ some instructions for it;-
Driver Cleaner Professional is a program which helps you to remove parts of drivers that are left after uninstalling the old drivers. The program is for ATI, nVidia, Creative, Realtek, SIS, 3Dfx, S3 and more drivers. First you need to uninstall the drivers from the control panel, then reboot. After rebooting, run the program. If you really want a good description of what steps you should take, then you really need to read the readme file included in the zip file and installation as it contains a detailed step by step description. The program also fully supports windows themes and other kind of themes.

tnx,. i'm gonna do that, but i can't find an omega driver for mx 4000 video card,. do you know any driver for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back