Games continue to freeze/reboot even after PSU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnugen

Ok, I had a game freezing or rebooting issue that I thought maybe a new PSU would solve. Well.........it didn't. I bought a 535w Enermax EG565P-VE FMA and it didn't stop the freezing or rebooting. It freezes GT Legends, COD2 and F1c. IT either freezes it, or gives me a reboot. I also have an x800xl vid card. It has stock cooling on it as well as my AMD64 3500+. Running OCZ 1g ram in dual channel. I talked to a buddy with the same card and dual core AMD64 and he gets no freezing whatsoever. I have one intake and one exhaust fan as well as the 2 on the PSU for case cooling. I ran memtest86 for 10 cycles (or whatever they are called) and 0 errors. I also ran a Maxtor HDD diag program on bootup and it reported no errors on either of my HDDs. I've ran virus checker and spyware programs...........nothing found. I have run out of things to check for this freezing and reboot during games only. Not just brand new games, older games as well. At the moment I have opened my case up and have a small 4" fan blowing at the fan on my vid card............overheating is the ONLY thing I can think of at this time. Any other ideas...I am fully open to suggestions !!!! Damned frustrating to have a gaming rig that freezes exactly what it was built to do !!!

Has having the fan blowing onto your videocard made any difference to the freezing issue?

If it has, then overheating is probably the culprit.

You could always post your minidumps if you like. I`d be happy to take a look at them for you.

Zip 5 or 6 minidumps together, and attach them here.

You can find them in c:/windows/minidump.

Regards Howard :)

fnugen said:
Ok, I had a game freezing or rebooting issue that I thought maybe a new PSU would solve. Well.........it didn't. I bought a 535w Enermax EG565P-VE FMA and it didn't stop the freezing or rebooting. It freezes GT Legends, COD2 and F1c. IT either freezes it, or gives me a reboot. I also have an x800xl vid card. It has stock cooling on it as well as my AMD64 3500+. Running OCZ 1g ram in dual channel. I talked to a buddy with the same card and dual core AMD64 and he gets no freezing whatsoever. I have one intake and one exhaust fan as well as the 2 on the PSU for case cooling. I ran memtest86 for 10 cycles (or whatever they are called) and 0 errors. I also ran a Maxtor HDD diag program on bootup and it reported no errors on either of my HDDs. I've ran virus checker and spyware programs...........nothing found. I have run out of things to check for this freezing and reboot during games only. Not just brand new games, older games as well. At the moment I have opened my case up and have a small 4" fan blowing at the fan on my vid card............overheating is the ONLY thing I can think of at this time. Any other ideas...I am fully open to suggestions !!!! Damned frustrating to have a gaming rig that freezes exactly what it was built to do !!!
What is your full system spec sheet. I have delt a little bit with that brand of PSU before I know that they very rarely hit the peak voltage they are rated for. If you have a couple of different HDD's and Optical Drives. You may be running a little bit low on voltage in that system with that big video card, AMD64, and a Gig of Ram.

Also I it I could be wrong here but it looks like you are making a new thread after it was thought that your PSU might becausing these problems before. If that were true it could be your OS that is messing up because of all the rebooting that was happening before. Course Howard should be able to see that if you can get those mini dumps posted up here.

Just looked in my minidump folder............nothing dated after Jan 26. I can send that.......as these issues were happening before upgrading to the x800xl. It was doing the same to the 9800pro for a couple weeks before the new vidcard (purchased within 1.5 wks). I did have an old generic 500w PSU in before and it was suggested I get a newer brand name psu. I am running 2 HDDs (both Maxtor), a DVD (Aopen) and CD drive (not sure of brand), my floppy a creative 24bit live sound card and theATI x800xl vidcard......2 case fans off the PSU. I was running this with no problems for the longest time off the old psu (minus the x800xl) before the freezing and sporadic reboots started. Updated to Gigabyte mobo (GA-K8nsc-939) and AMD64 3500+ last October and until last few weeks, ran flawlessly. OCZ ram (2.5-4-4-8). All this only happens during games. I just turned off fastwrite in my ATI CCC in case it might be that, haven't been able to test it. I have attempted to attach the latest mini-dump to this, but I've not been able to post an attachment in the past.

From only 1 minidump it`s not possible to be sure.

Your minidump crashes at ati2cqag.dll. Videocard drivers. It has a bugcheck of 8E.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

Uninstall, and reinstall your videocard drivers.

Check for overheating.
Try running you system with just one stick of ram.
Try putting your ram in a different dimm slot.
Try downclocking your ram/memory timings in bios.
Make sure nothing is overclocked.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back