Gaming Pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

i have a gaming pc that i out together and i want to upgrade pretty much all of it.

current specs

MSI SDRAM Motherboard
1 GIG of ram
Pent 4 2.0 GHz
Wester Dig 120 gig HDD
Nvidia GeForce 6800
5.1 card

things i am going to buy, but cant decide on a motherboard

BFG Tech BFGR78256GTXOC Geforce 7800GTX 256MB
the reason i dont want ATI is because installing drivers can be a pain, my cousin has one and i dont like it, i love my older Nvidia.

i need advice on a motherboard and also
i am going to use the same hdd, sound card and of course new ram going for 4 gigs total and i dont know if i should get a new CPU.

thank you

If you're wanting a GAMING computer:

1. Have you considered switching to the Athlon lineup? Not really necessary, as a fast Pentium is also very sweet, but the Athlons do tend to perform a little better in gaming.
2. You won't need 4Gb of ram. 2Gb (dual channel) is really the max you'll ever need.

You mention being uncertain as to whether or not you should upgrade your CPU... I'd say yes. Yours is a little dated. It wouldn't make sense to have a 7800GTX and 4Mb of ram with a 2Ghz CPU. It would be a huge bottleneck on your system.

If you want, give us your budget, and a list of exactly what you would need and we can try and put together your system with you.

Lol, I thought the 2.0ghz CPU was a typo.

It really doesn't make sense to put in a 6 month old GC, and have a 4yo CPU :p

And I don't really know whats so hard about installing drivers for an ATI card. I've installed a number for others, and they don't seem any harder. And their top end cards perform better too. You might want the 7800 for the DirectX 10 support, not sure if the x1800 supports it.

And I'll support the fact that noone really needs more than 2gb of RAM. Not today anyway. (Who still remembers Bill Gates' comment about never needing more than 16kb of RAM?) In fact, you probably can't really notice between 1 or 2 GB of RAM.

yea, i would suggest a DFI Lanparty nForce 4 Ultra D and a Athlon X2 3800+. If you're into overclocking you might want to look at a Opteron 165, but it's up to you.

thx for all the help.

i can aford anywhere bewtween around 1000$ maybe a bit more.

no one mentioned anything about a motherboard tho, and im still no to sure about going with ati maybe u guys can convince me.

I didn't mention the motherboard because first you need to decide what CPU you are going to use. If you are going to stay with your current CPU then you have to get a motherboard with the same socket.

As for your $1000 budget, does that include a monitor? Windows? Keyboard and mouse? You say you are going to use your current HDD, what about case and PSU (what make and how many watts is your current PSU)?

If you can answer some of that, I may be able to advise on a system in your budget.

If you are looking for a good motherboard thats great for gaming, you might want to try the DFI Lanparty Series. They're pretty good for that kind of thing and pretty cheap too. (My guess is that it'll be cheaper over there in the US) :)

ok i have monitor, keyboard, mouse, hdd, sound card, case, speakers.

i knew my cpu was old but not that old lmao, now im kinda embarassed.

anyways so that would mean i need. cpu, motherboard, vid card, ram sticks,and a decen PSU im thinking 550W should do it and i think thats about it.

thanks for the help.

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard $130

AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1GHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor$332

G.SKILL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory $145.50

connect3D 3056 Radeon X1900XT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card $509

Thats over $1100, you could get a 7800gt with that and get better memory for $1000. The 1900xt may be better then the 7900gtx as the rumers are going, time will tell. If I was spending that much on a gamer I would get nothing less then a 1900xt.

The only probem I know of with ATi's drivers are from changing from nvidia. Just use driver cleaner from driver heaven to clean out the old stuff, because uninstall misses things. But a fresh install of Xp will have no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back