Gateway M-6834 laptop -- power blinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gateway M-6834 laptop and when I turn it on, its power button and wireless light blinks (no matter f I turn on or turn off the wireless manually). The fan doesn't work and actually the computer doesn't start. Only these two lights are blinking. I unplugged the battery and only used the adaptor, but again it didn't change and the same happened. I do appreciate your help!

Hi kimsland, unfortunately I don't know where the CMOS jumper is on my motherboard. I couldn't find information on the web about it too. Any suggestion?

i'm having the exact same problem with a gateway laptop.
whether the power is coming from the ac adapter only or the battery only, the same thing happens. pushing the power button, the led right next to it will blink with the wifi lights on the front. it will blink twice (within a few seconds of eachother) and nothing will happen.

i've completely disassembled the laptop, dusted everything out, reapplied new thermal paste on the processor/chipset. a visual inspection yields no physically damaged components or evidence of anything burning. the ac adapter voltage tests out fine. kimsland, i took the button cell battery out for about 30 mins with no luck.

lately i have been trying to read up on voltage regulators, fuses, etc. there is a 5A fuse next to the dc jack, and a 7A fuse next to the battery connector. i will test these next.

anybody have any suggestions? also amirni21, did you end up fixing this problem? if so, please share.

any help is much appreciated. thanks.

the fuses tested out fine. also should have mentioned the 3V button cell battery still puts out 3V, so it is not dead. the weird thing is that the power circuit seems to still charge the battery with the ac adapter and battery plugged in, but using either to power up will not work...

any suggestions?

btw, it's a gateway M-6817

m tr4nch, may be there's some upgradable components or peripherals inside your laptop are loosing in connection (e.g. ram). but don't forget to contact an average technician if you don't known how.

Hey guys! Unfortunately I found nothing. I have still the same problem! Have you solved your problem and repaired your laptop?

Hey guys! Unfortunately I found nothing. I have still the same problem! Have you solved your problem and repaired your laptop?

nope, still the same. i'm almost 100% sure it's a problem with the motherboard itself. i'd get a new one online from ebay or wherever but i don't think it's worth the $250-300 the places are asking for them. it's not even my laptop heh, the person i'm fixing it for said it may still be under warranty so i am throwing it back together and giving it to them to send back. i will let you know how that goes.

The warranty is most likely void now that you have disassembled the laptop. The motherboard is probably bad in both m tr4nch and amirni21's laptops

Only these two lights are blinking.
The blinking lights stand for a certain error code -- I can't tell you what that is, but Gateway can. I'd recommend giving them a call or contacting them online (even if it is out of warranty).

If this is a common problem, they may have extended warranty repair for defective boards (which is probably the issue).

Yes Rick, those flashing lights mean that a section of the motherboard has failed. Exactly what they mean is irrelevent :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back