geforce 4000 mx on windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihatecomputers

Please help me. I have a 2000 pro. windows. I got a geforce 4000mx and it has a error code 10 over it in the device manager. I just can't think of anything else i can do to try and fix it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

~frustered computer hater

Had to look up the full error code for Win2K:
The device cannot start. (Code 10)
Try updating the device drivers for this device.

This means you need to:
a) If there is any on-board or integrated videocard already present, it needs to be disabled. How this is done differs from mainboard to mainboard. It's usually done by a BIOS setting, jumper inside the case or worst-case- disabled in the Device Manager.
b) Install chipset and/or AGP drivers for your mainboard. We cannot give any help here without some more system information. If you are unable to determine your mainboard, take a look at the threads stickie'd in the forums here or google: Everest. Download/install/run this and report it's output. CPU-Z can also be googled as it can report the mainboard model also.
c) Old video drivers should be uninstalled in the Control Panel, and Driver Cleaner Pro (www.drivercleaner.net) can also be utilized if this doesn't work properly.
d) Obtain the latest Forceware drivers from www.nvidia.com

Ok, I finally found out what my mainboard is....i think, here's the info from the CPU-Z

manufacturer- ECS
model- K7S5A
chipset- SiS 735
southbridge- SiS ID0008
sensor- ITE

does this sound right? I think i already tried downloading the newest forceware drivers, it takes awhile to download, so i'd rather try something else first. I ahve no toher capture cards installed. thanks!

~frusterated computer hater

wait a mintue, i think there might be another video card installed! inthe device manager, under the "sound, video and game controllers" the last thing listed is "video Codecs" and, when I go to it's properties, there is a list of 12 things, one of them being Indeo Video 5.10 and another windows media video 9 VCM. COuld this be a video capture card that i need to delete?

You are going to have to get the driver from somewhere. Did your PC come with a driver CD? Or if it didn't come with the PC and you got the graphics card separately, did it come with a driver CD? It might not be the latest but it should get you going. If not, downloading seems your best choice.

Edit: Codecs aren't hardware but software.

unfortunatly, it did not work. I can't imagine what went wrong, it stilllll shows the code 10 error. I can't imagine what i can do now. Thanks for your help anyway, maybe i should just give up. All i want to do is transfer my videos from my non-digital camcorder to the computer....:(

~frusterated computer hater

I had this same problem, how I solved it was actully to uninstall the drivers totally, reset mobo bios, and then reinstall drivers and it worked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back