Getting a HDMI cable for my HDTV

you might consider this warning.

HDMI is a cable and as such is not dependent upon the features of the HT TV (eg 3D or refresh rate 60, 120 or 240) nor the data being push thru it. These cables are all the same so save your money and just get a standard HDMI cable that is of the proper length :)

That cable is CHEAP for 10 feet of HDMI, it seems like a good buy to me as long as it actually works.

you might consider this warning.

HDMI is a cable and as such is not dependent upon the features of the HT TV (eg 3D or refresh rate 60, 120 or 240) nor the data being push thru it. These cables are all the same so save your money and just get a standard HDMI cable that is of the proper length :)

Not quite true but the acid test is really "Does it work?". Fact of the matter is there will be a point where a poor quality cable will be too long and the amount of noise or attenuation causes grief but I'm yet to see a cheap HDMI that I've had trouble with.

Here is an article for the "other side of the argument" for reference - http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2007/06/the_truth_about_monster_cable/. Now I would never buy a Monster cable but if you buy a really cheap crappy cable, you could see what these guys are saying. Most cheap cables are much better than what they are showing in that article though, without being monster cable prices so just be aware that not all cheap cables are going to work perfectly.

If it costs you $5 for the cable, worst thing that can happen is you've thrown $5 away. You can buy dozens of them for the same price as a "Monster cable".

An example of a digital signal cable that is affected by quality issues is a cat-5 cable (ethernet). If you have a spare long cat-5 that you don't care about, bend the bejesus out of it (put kinks in it and so on). Then try connecting to a gigabit switch and see if it can run in gigabit mode. The cable shouldn't work at gigabit anymore whereas a new cat-5 cable would most likely even though you are "supposed" to use cat-6 for gigabit networking.

HDMI is the same. It will have the same issues particularly with long cables (over 5m). Take care of your cables, expect that you might get a dud but it won't cost you much to find another, and you shouldn't have a problem...

If it costs you $5 for the cable, worst thing that can happen is you've thrown $5 away. You can buy dozens of them for the same price as a "Monster cable"
I only wish HDMI cables were $5 :)
Bad equipment is bad equipment and I always choose the axiom "You get what you pay for".

In the context of this thread, my comment was targeted at the sham of labeling cables as {Standard HDMI Cable, High Speed HDMI Cable} - - humbug, they are all the same! There is a Standard 1.4 which adds Ethernet to the HDMI and of course that would be different. Just like Ethernet has a length limit of 100m, HDMI too is limited, you can't run it from one end of the house to the other, but surely we all understand that one :grin:

Think of it this way; we run 1000mbps Ethernet over UTP (unshielded twisted pair) cables. Video will never exceed that rate.

I agree with the assessment in regards to company's labeling things to sometimes sound "bigger & better" than what they truly are. To be totally honest here, I'm running a similar setup, but instead of using a desktop computer to a TV, I'm doing so with a laptop. When formulating my idea, I ran out and grabbed two matching Walmart brand HDMI cables, which we labeled "ultra high density & high speed", I thought great and grabbed them. Come several weeks later I found in a box, one of my old and thought to be lost Radio Shack regular "no thrills" HDMI cable. So being curious and possibly thinking about returning one of the two HDMI cables back to Walmart, I wanted to see if it still worked so I hooked up the Radio Shack cable and tested it. Apparently the Radio Shack in store brand cable was transmitting and carrying more data information at a greater rate of speed, than Walmart's "ultra" cable. So my Radio Shack cable labeled "standard" beat out a cable labeled "ultra"! Plus the Radio Shack cable about 2-3 years ago ran me $14.99 for 6 feet. Where the Walmart "ultra" cable ran me recently $24.99 for 6 feet. So sometimes a company's labeling of a product isn't all it's cracked up to be!

Back