Getting access to Netscape Communicator 4.76 in firefox 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

leem

Hello,

I have a friend at work who was using Netscape 4.x. It was having a lot of problems (not keeping internet connections or being able to open pdf files), and so I suggested she switch to firefox 1.0. Everything is going great, except....

Her email is Netscape Communicator 4.76. She has been using this email for years and has tons of personal and meaningful emails.

The only way I can access her email (that I know of) is to open Netscape browser and click the mail icon at the bottom right of the browswer. Can I add that Icon to firefox and uninstall Netscape?

I have looked to find the folder with her email, so I can at least put a shortcut on her desktop, but I can't find it anywhere. Is the email so tied to her netscape browser that I have to have the browser to access the email?

Thanks! :wave:

You can import her Netscape mail accounts, setting & messages in almost any modern Email client ranging from Outlook (eww) to Eudora or Thunderbird. The choice is yours in case you wish to upgrade that too. :p

Yes, you need another program. FireFox is a web browser - it does not slice and dice and do laundry like Netscape or Mozilla. Thunderbird is the mail client that is supposed to complement FireFox.

Aha!

I put thunderbird on my desktop at work, and it switched over my contacts and address books. I was converting from Outlook Express to Thunderbird.

When I copied my OE files (where it stores emails) and pasted it into my new thunderbird location, it only copied the folder names, not all the individual emails I have recieved.

Two follow up questions:

#1: When I install Thunderbird on my coworkers computer, will Netscape Communicator 4.x be able to read her old emails if I copy the contents of her Netscape folder into her Thunderbird folder?

#2: Is there anyway I can get Thunderbird to recognize my outlook emails so that I can keep using thunderbird and still have access to my old emails?

Copying files is useless - OE and Thunderbird are completely different programs from different worlds. They do not use the same datafiles.

There is an "import" function in Thunderbird that will do the job. Actually, when you run TBird the first time, it should kindly ask you whether to import anything from anywhere.

It worked it worked!!

Thank you so much everyone.

I was stressing because it did not import my OE emails, but Thunderbird did pick up all of her Netscape Communicator emails.

Woohoo!

Ackkk!!!
We unistalled Netscape communicator, and emptied the recycle bin...BUT her address book did not transfer over.

Is there anyway to recover her address book? Anything that will restore it, or restore her old Netscape COmmunicator so we can manually export it?

Ekk...she is near tears....

If you have XP, perhaps a previous Restore Point might recover them.
Or one of your backups or images (you DID make backups, did you?) might still contain them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back