Getting colorful specks on my laptop screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not too good with computers so I'll try my best to explain...sorry if it's too long with useless information...
I have a T41 IBM Thinkpad, around 4/5 years old and I haven't had too many problems with it before. I took with me to India last year and had no problems, and I brought it here again this year. I couldn't use it for around 5 days because I didn't have a converter, and it was working fine for around half an hour. The power fluctuated for a second or two but nothing happened then, but I disconnected it right away for 10 minutes after just in case. I left it for 20 minutes and it went into standby, and when I came back and moved the mouse, the screen was black for a bit with colorful specks and it went away little by little. The mouse was a white box with specks and the screen had horizontal stripes with the specks. It went back to normal eventually, but the background became like this until I changed it
It was then normal, except for certain pages and the ehome window
so I continued working, but then when I set it down the screen turned black and then normal and black again. I left it to see what would happen, but when I picked it up and put it on my lap the screen showed up again. It kept doing this for a while and then the colorful specks came back and when I tried to use the spacebar to look up what was wrong, the file menu kept dropping down on anything I did. I turned it off immediately after and am really worried. I have a lot of work on there and can't afford to lose it now, sorry it's so long, but thanks for reading.
This was what I posted originally:
From what I looked around at it seems to be the video card, but I couldn't find anyone with the same problem.
Sorry the links couldn't be posted yet-I will post them in a bit, but I asked a question on yahoo answers titled " I got a black screen with colorful specks when my laptop came out of standby? " with the pictures. answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Au2U0muK0PKdJnTD7XPfryIe5XNG;_ylv=3?qid=20100704061123AAj2caf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back