Getting our network connection from point A to point B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I would just start off by saying that I have been lurking here lately and have found this website to be a huge asset for information over the last couple of months but I'm in a little rut and need a little advice on how to get out.

We are in the process of building a separate maintenance facility on the other side of our complex approximately 2000ft away (nearly clear l.o.s.). In it there will be 2 desktop computers and another laptop. In our main office we have a standard domain based network with dhcp. I would like to be able to connect this new building to our current office via a wireless connection and want to double check all of the hardware to due so before I finish up the purchasing.

Already in place on our current building is a hi-gain outdoor directional antenna which is mounted on our building facing the new building. The antenna is connected to a D-Link DWL-G700AP access point via a 30ft outdoor antenna extension cable. The access point then plugs into our main switch via a standard patch cable. I have already purchased another directional outdoor antenna for the new building but I'm not sure what else I'll need to connect the 2 desktops (wired) and 1 wireless laptop that will be in that building. Would I need to get another access point similar to the D-Link that I listed above and then connect it to a standard 4-port wireless router? Here is what I’m thinking in simplified diagram: Current building’s network > switch > access point > outdoor antenna > air between the buildings < outdoor antenna < access point < 4-port wireless router < 2 wired desktops and 1 wireless laptop.

Thanks in advance,
bd

You got VISIO? Can you show us what you mean using a VISIO Network flow-chart. Sounds like a project and a plan. How many floors is this building? Is this a business or someone house? Not hard to do, but you sound like you know what has to be done. You'll need and AP for each floor, you can test the signal using Net tumbler or some commerical software or a tester for wi-fi which would be better. Wireless laptop would do the trick. You want the signal as strong as you can.

bodiddy825 said:
Current building’s network > switch > access point > outdoor antenna > ...
... air between the buildings ...
< outdoor antenna < access point < 4-port wireless router < 2 wired desktops and 1 wireless laptop.

Thanks in advance,
bd
looks right to me; try the adhoc networking for the APs first, then the Infrastructure mode.

Get it running first, then add the security bits (hiding the SSID, adding WAP/WEP encryption)

Keep us posted :)

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I don't have access to visio. This is a small but growing business and when it was decided to build this new building, the technology end of it wasn't considered (seems like it never is :blackeye:) so we have to be as frugal as possible. Our main office is 2 floors and the new maintenance facility is only 1 floor but it's a pole barn style building and it as high as 2 floors. I'll post a detailed update once the project is complete and included everything that was used and how it was setup. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back