Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti, is it worth getting under my situation?

Cyborkid

I'm planning on getting Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti, the problem is I got a pc for like 2006 and it's a dual core 2.60 ghz at 2.80 overclocked, ati hd radeon 4650, 2g kingston ddr3 ram.

is it worth getting with this pc or do I need a better one? I mainly play WoW, will this card enable me ultra graphics and shadows, or will the cpu slow me down?

will I also be able to have max multisample

thanks guys

With this settings I can get 60fps when alone questing with low ground radius and low view distance and low shadow, the rest can go max, but multisampling just on x2 makes it really slow

If not which one is recommended for a more independent gpu experience. my wow runs fairly well with max textures at what I have now, will the improvement be worth?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you buy your PC as a whole unit or did you build it (or have it built)? Are you running a 32 bit or 64 bit Operating System? What is your wattage rating on the Power Supply? If this was a computer you bought, what is the Make and Model?
Just trying to get more information about your current computer so we can make a better judgment. I could say that yes the card would better your performance, but I would also suggest other things first. Like adding more RAM (2GB is just not enough for modern games). Possibly replacing the CPU with one that is better suited for your needs (if the motherboard can handle it). Also with adding a Video card of that class, you will most likely have to replace the power supply, depending on what it is rated.
But I'm getting ahead of myself, lets get more information from you to start.

It was custom built, asus motherboard, 350w power supply, I suppose I can make it like 3 or 4gb of ram, main problem with the card is the metal end needs to take up one slot not two like I keep seeing, lga775 socket which do you recommend?

The power supply minimum req is 300w.

Sorry, power supply is 500w and I think the processor is LGA755 socket, basing from my processor

My System Specifications

Operating System:
Windows 2.6.1.7600
CPU Type:
Intel® Core™2 CPU 6600 2.40GHz
CPU Speed:
2.40 GHz @ 2.80Ghz
System Memory:
2.15 GB
Video Card Model:
ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (4650)
Video Card Memory:
1.87 GB
Video Card Driver:
aticfx32.dll
Desktop Resolution:
1920x1080
Hard Disk Size:
160.04 GB
Hard Disk Free Space:
10.23 GB (6%)
Download Speed:
460.24 kB/s

recommended CPU for LGA755 I would like to know, the intel core 2 extreme is too expensive, and it's the best, I'm looking for something less expensive, say 140$ max, will quad-core bottle-neck?

What is the make and model for your Asus Motherboard? Need this info to proceed with recommendations. I can see that you have Windows 7 (from the Windows 2.6.1.7600 - I'm assuming that it is Windows 7), but is it 32 bit or 64 bit? Follow the directions below to determine which you have (this is not an insult if you know how to do this already, just trying to make it easier):

Click the Start button
4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
  • If "64-bit Operating System" is listed next to System type, you’re running the 64-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows 7.

• If "32-bit Operating System" is listed next to System type, you’re running the 32-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows 7.

My System Specifications

Operating System:
Windows 2.6.1.7600
CPU Type:
Intel® Core™2 CPU 6600 2.40GHz
CPU Speed:
2.40 GHz @ 2.80Ghz
System Memory:
2.15 GB
Video Card Model:
ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (4650)
Video Card Memory:
1.87 GB
Video Card Driver:
aticfx32.dll
Desktop Resolution:
1920x1080
Hard Disk Size:
160.04 GB
Hard Disk Free Space:
10.23 GB (6%)
Download Speed:
460.24 kB/s

recommended CPU for LGA755 I would like to know, the intel core 2 extreme is too expensive, and it's the best, I'm looking for something less expensive, say 140$ max, will quad-core bottle-neck?

Heres my opinion, as far as running at Ultra, im pretty sure nothing you could add to that machine will get you a good stable ultra setting in WoW because of your CPU (At least at a constant 60FPS on a 1080p screen). You will most likely based on my experience with a game like that get more than 30FPS.

As far as the 750ti vs your 4650, I would say since your on a budget to just go ahead and grab the 750ti because it will offer you a good performance boost for your computer. Your CPU is going to hold you back of course and I don't think upgrading would be really beneficial if your sticking with the same socket. A Core 2 Quad (Except the Extremes) are not that big a step up in all honesty in gaming due to the low Single Thread in this day and age so unless you overclock it I would not recommend investing the money in a new LGA 775 CPU.

In short, I would just grab the 750ti for now and just later down the line grab a new motherboard and CPU setup because you should be able to play near max with that system.

I get almost steady 60fps in low level instances 5man, and questing, but I want shadows etc, yes my system is 32 bit since I have to gb of ram, I knew that process but I understand you had to put it there just in-case I was someone who didn't know thats ok bro thx for being inclusive. Also double checking through computer properties, and correct. sorry for Mal-presentation, been busy today. I will post a link to my motherboard in a sec

Theres some cpu for LGA775 that are competent with i7, the core 2 extreme, but way too expensive, also to confirm, it's Windows 7 (ultimate).

heres my MOBO http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5GCMX1333/

It's a compatible motherboard under the list http://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/Nvidia/700_Series/GeForce_GTX_750_Ti/883/Compatible_Motherboards

It's either I get a good cpu that wont bottleneck for LGA775 gtx 750ti or I have to wait until after the army training if I make it through I got 2 posts pending review because they have a link, they provide some required info, hang on

thanks guys

It's either I get a good cpu that wont bottleneck for LGA775 gtx 750ti or I have to wait until after the army training if I make it through I got 2 posts pending review because they have a link, they provide some required info, hang on

thanks guys
I would just grab the 750ti, I would not spend the money unless you get some type of awesome deal on a Core 2 Quad Extreme mostly because they are not going to be much of an improvement no matter what.

Hold up guys. There is no point in buying a 750Ti if the OPs PC only has 2GB of RAM. He needs to increase the RAM and possibly upgrade to a 64bit OS or else there is no point in a good GPU.

Hold up guys. There is no point in buying a 750Ti if the OPs PC only has 2GB of RAM. He needs to increase the RAM and possibly upgrade to a 64bit OS or else there is no point in a good GPU.

That is exactly what I was trying to say. If you are bound and determined to keep using this computer, then you need to look at getting the RAM to 4GB total (that's the max the motherboard can handle), possibly getting a better CPU and getting a 64bit version of Windows. Putting in the 750Ti will not instantly give you max settings (especially considering the PCIe slot is the original version - not even v2.0 or v3.0). There is much more to consider before just buying any GPU.

Possible Prices for Upgrading current system:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz - $148.99 (http://www.amazon.com/Intel-3-33GHz-1333MHz-Desktop-Processor/dp/B001BS1ONW) This is the 2nd best CPU (that I can find) you can put into your current system

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) - $61.99 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231120) This is one of the fastest MHz rated RAM compatible with your motherboard

If I was in your situation, I would look at getting new hardware (whole new computer). We can explore those options if you can give us a budget on what you can spend on a new system. I know some people on here will say get an Intel system, but AMD is great for Budget builds (but still leaving options open for upgrading later), especially the APU units with built in AMD Radeon graphics that might just be better than what you currently have. That way when you have more money, you could add in the 750Ti or maybe even something better.
You have options, just have to find the best one for you.

That is exactly what I was trying to say. If you are bound and determined to keep using this computer, then you need to look at getting the RAM to 4GB total (that's the max the motherboard can handle), possibly getting a better CPU and getting a 64bit version of Windows. Putting in the 750Ti will not instantly give you max settings (especially considering the PCIe slot is the original version - not even v2.0 or v3.0). There is much more to consider before just buying any GPU.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz - $148.99 (http://www.amazon.com/Intel-3-33GHz-1333MHz-Desktop-Processor/dp/B001BS1ONW) This is the 2nd best CPU (that I can find) you can put into your current system

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) - $61.99 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231120) This is one of the fastest MHz rated RAM compatible with your motherboard

If I was in your situation, I would look at getting new hardware (whole new computer). We can explore those options if you can give us a budget on what you can spend on a new system. I know some people on here will say get an Intel system, but AMD is great for Budget builds (but still leaving options open for upgrading later), especially the APU units with built in AMD Radeon graphics that might just be better than what you currently have. That way when you have more money, you could add in the 750Ti or maybe even something better.
4GB is kind of pushing it a bit also. If you were to invest in such a modern/mildy powerful GPU, I would have at least 8GB of RAM to factor out the CPU bottleneck.

Since you have a fairly old GPU and little RAM (as long as you have at least 4GB) I would just buy a 600 series GPU like a 650 or 650Ti and not waste your money on a card that could and will be bottlenecked.

I said I can upgrade to 2 sticks of 2gb ddr2, anybody know the 2nd best LGA775 processor and if its good enough? and lol, why does it cost like a super-computer http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Extreme-Quad-Core-Processor-1600MHz/dp/B00143O62K
I am not really sure if that would work (it could). It is very expensive because that was the high end a few years ago and people may be looking to upgrade their CPUs with an older socket. But no one would and should not pay more than $200 for an old CPU like that. You might as well get a modern CPU and motherboard. People are just trying to rip you off by selling old powerful parts.

thanks everyone for great info, including this.

I wanted info just like this and you put it simple for me, it's either this or a new system, I'm trying to sell my ps4 with fifa, cod ghosts, and battlefield 4 for 350£, I can up it 370£, and probably maximun £420, if im certain with what I want, but if I do that, I will want a system that can play wow on nearly ultra atleast, games like skyrim constantly smooth, and hdmi 1080p, if not, I'll just have to wait till after I finish my army training etc if I make it to get an expensive-ish pc from overclockers.

anything good for 420£ I would appreciate the info

oh and if cheaper I can build the pc. I don't like factory computers tbh. I just want a good warlords of draenor experience and perhaps cod waw modded zombies and some of the latest game with minimal problems.

you guys rock

420 is a decent amount of money (British pounds of course).

Let me see what I can do, ill give you an example build that you can use for reference, however 420 is still going to be a bit hard to get ultra on and it will depend on what you can use from your previous build (I can assume an HDD can't I?)

i3 4130 83.00

Asrock H87 PRO4 54.37

Corsair CX430 Watt 31.93

MSI Gaming GTX 750 89.98

Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 8gb 2x4gb 64.09

Corsair Carbide 200R Case 55.19

Western Didgital 1tb 7200RPM 43.65

That should be a fairly decent gaming rig for you that will achieve 1080p ultra for WoW and decent settings in Elder Scrolls.

Now if your HDD you currently have can be re-used (Sata connectors) and your willing to re-use it, I would suggest the following changes.

HD 7850 125

Either way, I think you would be happy with the results of the new machine.

Thanks bro! I can do without the dvd drive too for now, and hdd, this motherboard supports both crossfire and sli right?

so HX 7850 is better than gtx 750 ti? I do plan on getting a 2nd one of the same in the future

Hmm so the hd7850 is better for performance? and if im in main citys it will lag less?

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7850-vs-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti
Higher memory bandwidth 153.6 GB/s vs 86.4 GB/s Around 80% higher memory bandwidth
More render output processors 32 vs 16 Twice as many render output processors
Wider memory bus 256 bit vs 128 bit 2x wider memory bus
More shading units 1,024 vs 640 384 more shading units
More texture mapping units 64 vs 40 24 more texture mapping units

Thanks bro! I can do without the dvd drive too for now, and hdd, this motherboard supports both crossfire and sli right?

so HX 7850 is better than gtx 750 ti? I do plan on getting a 2nd one of the same in the future
That board does not no, if you wanna do sli you also cannot go 750 or 750ti since neither support sli.

If you wanna do sli/cfx do this instead:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00D1COG4A/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1395994018&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

And go for a 7850 (or R7 265)

Thanks, im manifesting the list then on pcpartpicker

I will crossfire in future but is this good for now http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3hQ4F

Probably will come to be like 420 excluding VAT

Adds up to 430.91£ I shall have this system soon

Thanks, im manifesting the list then on pcpartpicker

I will crossfire in future but is this good for now http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3hQ4F

Probably will come to be like 420 excluding VAT

Adds up to 430.91£ I shall have this system soon

Should be fine, you can SLI or CFX on that board as I said and the i3 will be more than enough for you on a gaming machine on a budget. Plus with that board if later you feel the need for more power you can grab an i5 and just slap it on in.

BTW, the site GPUboss.com is not a great way to compare video cards just for future reference. Besides sites like this that have open benchmarking, the next best thing in my book tends to be passmark.com. even though its a little biased towards Nvidia. The problem with GPUboss is that it compares alot of things that are not facts and benches that make little since for comparison reasons (Or that seem to have odd results) like how it compares the Core counts of both cards which AMD and Nvidia differ alot from their architectures so Cuda cores (Nvidia) are not the same as stream processors (AMD). Just food for thought.

Hope you enjoy your machine!

Thanks mate, you boosted my motivation. for now this is good, in future I'll get crossfire, water cooling and overclock, and probably upgrade cpu, atleast I feel free on this socket to get high end processors and that, on my current pc, I use a monitor / tv, and I'm unable to use hdmi cuz the screen looks all weird and so do the games, will this be the case on this new system?

Thanks mate, you boosted my motivation. for now this is good, in future I'll get crossfire, water cooling and overclock, and probably upgrade cpu, atleast I feel free on this socket to get high end processors and that, on my current pc, I use a monitor / tv, and I'm unable to use hdmi cuz the screen looks all weird and so do the games, will this be the case on this new system?
With the HD 7850, you should get full 100% 1080p support with the best resolution that your monitor/T.V could handle. The only issue I have ever run into before is that sometimes if CCC (Catalyst Control Center) you have to tell the HDMI out to scale to the full screen size at 1080p (This is mostly the case only on T.V.'s ive noticed). Its just a setting you might have to change as it depends on the T.V..

This build should look as good as any system in this day and age.

Gonna sell my ps4 with fifa14 cod ghosts, and battlefield 4 for 330£, I'm going to get it all without graphics card, and when I sell my computer for like 130£ I will get the card.

can't wait, it will be soon hopefully, already got someone who wants the ps4

Nice, has room for 3 slots for video card, if I get overtime x3 of these video cards will I be able to have wow on ultra, or will I need better cpu for that amount of gpu, the motherboard seems like it rocks, can't wait to build this

Last edited:
Back