Gigabyte mobo problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, im at a loss and very confused. I have built many custom computers, all with minimal problems that couldn be troubleshot. I just started building a new system

amd 64 3700+
gigabyte GA-k8nf-9
1 gig corsaid xms pc3200
wd 80 gb ide 7200

now the problem im having is that 1. Getting through POST is ridiculouslt slow, like it takes almost 1-2 minutes to recognize the ide drives, then it loads to the verifying DMI pool....... that takes a while, then finally boots up to install. problem 2. I installed XP installed the drivers, reboot. After i reboot i wait for the long post get to the boot from cd page.... and it goes into this nvidida bootlogic..... and stays there for about 2 minutes, then says exiting, then says something like DCHP... i forget i wish i could ellaborate... then after that it says SYSTEM DISK ERRO, PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK. well i did that, but ifgured out that i can put any disk in there even a blank one it it works fine. i tried changing the boot sequence... nothing helps. i got windows loaded... but i dont wanna keep the motherboard if i have to wait for long posts and constantly have to have a cd in the drive just to get it to boot. ANY HELP!!!

i'd suspect faulty bios settings, hardware failure. in that order, mind you. try updating the bios (if available), if this doesn't help you need to look for offending settings. for example, what are your boot options set to? your memory?

the driver disk comes with a bios updater, will try that first... only thing is i suspect it will try to connect to the net, and the drivers are messed up and i cant get internet, also by boot options do u mean my boot sequence, and how would i check my memory config. thx for the help. i dont know about hardware failure though, the motherboard sees everything and its accurate...its just really slow.

Did you set the jumpers on the hard drive and optical drive to the proper master/slave configuration? By any chance has the hard drive been switched from DMA (or UDMA) mode to PIO mode? Has quick boot been enabled?

are you saying that the onboard NIC doesn't work, even though the right drivers are installed and it is enabled in the bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back