Gigabyte unveils the world's smallest GTX 1080

midian182

Staff member

As stylish and discreet Mini-ITX rigs become more popular among PC builders, graphics card manufacturers are coming up with increasingly smaller GPUs. Now, Nvidia board partner Gigabyte has revealed the smallest GTX 1080 card ever released: The GTX 1080 Mini ITX 8G.

For those who want the smallest build possible without compromising on gaming power, this “tiny but mighty” card should fit the bill. It measures just 6.7 inches in length; that’s almost 4 inches shorter than the 10.5-inch Founders Edition GTX 1080. And the other measurements are just as minuscule: Gigabytes’ card is only 1.5 inches high and 5.2 inches wide.

The Mini ITX 8G comes with a Nvidia reference 1607 MHz base clock and 1733 MHz boost range. There’s also an OC mode profile that pushes the base clock up 25 MHz to 1632 MHz and the boost up 38 MHz to 1771 MHz.

Keeping everything frosty in this dual slot card is Gigabyte’s own cooling system, which consists of three composite heat pipes designed to maximize the direct contact area to the CPU. They travel through an aluminum fin stack that’s cooled by a 3D Active semi-passive 90mm fan, which uses a set of 3D stripes on the surface that Gigabyte claims improves airflow by 23 percent compared to traditional fans.

Additionally, Gigabyte says that thanks its 5+2 power phases, the Mini ITX 8G overclocks better than the Founders Edition reference card and its 5+1 phase design. The 8G also offers 'one click super overclocking' through the Aorus Graphics Engine utility, and is powered by a single eight pin connector. No word yet on pricing or availability.

If you're looking for something that's a little larger but offers more power, check out Zotac's GTX 1080 Ti Mini.

The full Gigabyte Mini ITX 8G specs are as follows:

• Graphics Processing: GeForce GTX 1080
  • Core Clock: Boost: 1771 MHz/ Base: 1632 MHz in OC Mode | Boost: 1733 MHz/ Base: 1607 MHz in Gaming Mode (Reference Card Boost: 1733 MHz / Base: 1607 MHz)
  • Memory Clock: 10010 MHz
  • Memory Size: 8 GB
  • Memory Type: GDDR5X
  • Memory Bus: 256 bit
  • Card Bus: PCI-E 3.0 x 16
  • Output: Dual-link DVI-D x1 / HDMI x1 / DisplayPort x3
  • Digital max resolution: 7680x4320
  • Multi-view: 4
  • Card size: H=37 L=169 W=131 mm
  • PCB Form: ATX
  • DirectX: 12
  • OpenGL: 4.5
  • Recommended PSU: 500W
  • Power Connectors: 8 pin*1

Permalink to story.

I don't understand how people spend $700 on a graphics card. Sure, they are nice but you get 90% of that performance from a $200 card...

I don't understand how people spend $700 on a graphics card. Sure, they are nice but you get 90% of that performance from a $200 card...

I would like to know that $200 card that performs at 90% the performance of a $700 card (a GTX 1080ti costs little more than that). I plan to upgrade from my GTX 970.

If you said "90% of the visible performance for 1080p/60Hz displays", I might be willing to agree with you. There are very, very few games that, when playing at 1080p on a 60Hz monitor, that a $200-300 GPU (like a GTX 1060 or RX 480/580) can't reach the 60FPS mark, & that a GTX 1080 might be useful for. But once you hit 1440p resolutions (or higher), & 120Hz (or higher) displays, those $200 GPUs just don't cut it anymore.

This must be intended for the Intel community. I have discovered that ITX is very badly represented for Ryzen - there are a total of 5 motherboards available and most have BIOS problems with overclocked RAM (essential for Ryzen), especially the Gigabyte board. No cards yet from Asus or MSI.

This must be intended for the Intel community. I have discovered that ITX is very badly represented for Ryzen - there are a total of 5 motherboards available and most have BIOS problems with overclocked RAM (essential for Ryzen), especially the Gigabyte board. No cards yet from Asus or MSI.
You can use Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX board. It's pretty good and have no problem with ram overclocking John Morrison wrote a review about this MB on SFFnetwork and reporting that overclock his G.Skill Flare X to 3600MHz with 18-18-18-38.

Last edited:
Back