Global health in 2020: less walking but people lost more weight and slept longer

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Looking back at 2020, one would imagine that spending most of the year trapped indoors had a detrimental effect on our health, but a new global study from Withings suggests the damage hasn’t been too bad, with some areas actually showing improvement.

The French digital health and wearables company’s ‘year in review’ for 2020, which is based on anonymous aggregated data from a pool of 5 million users, showed quite a few surprises, the biggest of which relates to how we slept.

It appears that concern over Covid-19, jobs, and the economy didn’t keep everyone awake at night. People on average slept an extra eight minutes and 34 seconds this year, with those in the US managing 7 minutes and 41 seconds extra shuteye.

Withings has put forward a few theories to explain the extra sleep: nightlife all but disappearing in most countries, restaurant visits dropping drastically, less traffic noise, and working from home means no commutes, all of which allow for more and better sleep. And don't forget the people who go to bed early because there’s little else to do on an evening.

Additionally, less alcohol (for some), nightlife, indulgent restaurant food, and stressful commutes have led to a lowered sleeping heart rate, which is usually a sign of good health. It dropped 0.54 beats per minute this year compared to 2019.

Walking was one activity that suffered throughout the pandemic. With restrictions on outdoor movements and many working from home, daily average steps were down 10 percent (511 fewer steps daily). The closure of pools meant swimming was down 30 percent, and the number of people running fell 1.75 percent. Cycling, however, increased 8 percent.

Possibly the most surprising stat is that people lost more weight (0.3 pounds) and fat mass (0.33 pounds) in 2020 compared to last year, and more of the population met their weight loss goals.

“2020 has certainly been a challenge for everyone around the world. We were pleased to see through our study though that overall people continued to get steps in, focus on their health goals and rest this year,” said Mathieu Letombe, CEO of Withings.

“In fact, when it came to sleep and hitting weight goals, we found that people improved from 2019. Hopefully, as we head into the New Year, we can continue to get the rest we need and stay active during the day.”

Permalink to story.

The article fails to mention one of the most cited and most likely culprits -- depression, due to the lockdowns and resultant social isolation. Weight loss and increased sleep time are two common symptoms of depression.

Society itself has become so toxic that the only reason we are forced to actually physically go to those "jobs" is so we can fund all the businesses around them: gas stations, auto body collision shops, restaurants, coffee shops, etc.

2020 was when we witnessed what life would be like to wake up and NOT have to rush to a job, and NOT have to sit in traffic, and NOT have to neglect our children.

We were forced to actually pay attention to our family and do schoolwork with our kids and cook at home and actually "live" at home rather than it just be a recharging dock.

Some people got destroyed by 2020 because their lives were built around the machine.

However, there are plenty of people who did well in 2020. People who learned more. People who became Youtubbers. People who started stock portfolios.

As for weight loss, I gained weight at home. The gyms weren't open and I didn't feel like going out since we had so many good games and movies to entertain us. I'm working on losing those Coronavirus calories now.

A whole lot of women got pregnant during quarantine and a whole lot of weight was gained - I even got a new cousin.

There are plenty of people who did well in 2020. People who learned more. People who became Youtubbers. People who started stock portfolios.
Youtubing doesn't grow food; or care for sick people; or keep the gas, electricity, and internet working; or manufacture clothing, cars, or that vaunted curved monitor you're always bragging about.

And those corporations in your portfolio will only post profits as long as all those above things keep happening ... which can't occur if the entire populace is sitting at home, doing nothing more than "learning more".

BTW, how many of those movies that you say entertained you during the pandemic were shot by actors at home during an enforced lockdown?

Youtubing doesn't grow food; or care for sick people; or keep the gas, electricity, and internet working; or manufacture clothing, cars, or that vaunted curved monitor you're always bragging about.

And those corporations in your portfolio will only post profits as long as all those above things keep happening ... which can't occur if the entire populace is sitting at home, doing nothing more than "learning more".

BTW, how many of those movies that you say entertained you during the pandemic were shot by actors at home during an enforced lockdown?

I might have bothered responding to this comment with replies but it was so ridiculous that I won’t bother at all.

As for the number of those entertaining videos I watch that was shot at home by Youtubers I would have to say that the majority of them were Youtubers who film their videos at home. Only a fraction of the entertainment that I saw was professionally done movies which had already been finished prior to the coronavirus quarantine and released between January and now.

Do me a favor: before you bother replying to anything that I say make sure you get your thoughts together first and freeze them in ways that are logical.

I might have bothered responding to this comment with replies but it was so ridiculous that I won’t bother at all.

As for the number of those entertaining videos I watch that was shot at home by Youtubers I would have to say that the majority of them were Youtubers who film their videos at home. Only a fraction of the entertainment that I saw was professionally done movies which had already been finished prior to the coronavirus quarantine and released between January and now.

Do me a favor: before you bother replying to anything that I say make sure you get your thoughts together first and freeze them in ways that are logical.

Definitely agree with the above. I would rather support up and coming Youtubers then well established whales.

I don't go to the gym and I don't understand people who have to go to the gym to do any kind of excerise. I guess by their logic everyone was fat before gyms were invented. You don't lose weight by going to the gym in the first place, you do it by having proper nutrition. You can't outtrain a bad diet. This year I put on some muscle, lost weight, got leaner while I didn't go to the gym once.

The saddest thing is when people say they didn't change their habits during quarantine because they were living like they were in one before it. That filthy lifestyle is sure to lead you to depression and health issues.

2020 was when we witnessed what life would be like to wake up and NOT have to rush to a job, and NOT have to sit in traffic, and NOT have to neglect our children.

We were forced to actually pay attention to our family and do schoolwork with our kids and cook at home and actually "live" at home rather than it just be a recharging dock.

Some people got destroyed by 2020 because their lives were built around the machine.

Meanwhile people like myself who does cook at home, who does spend time with his 5 children and wife was unable to go to work and provide for his family. Please don't assume everyone neglects their children.
I agree, family life "health" is at an all time low and sure, the lock downs helped some people refocus. But on the flipside the lockdowns have also increased depression, suicide, drug and alcohol addictions and domestic abuse. So while some parents could spend time with their children it would have been more toxic than good because of the stress of not having a job, not being able to pay your bills and being forced into a situation they weren't prepared for.

I got fat, but that's because I ate a lot not because I had to quarantine. I rarely went out before the pandemic
To lose weight, eat fruits, green leafy vegetables, nuts and whole greens. Avoid eating junk foods. Cut down on dairy products. Walking for 30 minutes a day can help in weight loss. Have a watch on your dietary schedule.

Back