Good time to buy the WD6401AALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itreignsfyre

Just wondering if it is still a good time to buy the WD Caviar HDD since SATA 6.0 has just come out. I can get 2 of them and put them in RAID 0 for around $130. Or should i just wait until more drives implement SATA 6.0? ..Or just get a SSD. <-pricey...

How critical would the read/write speed factor be to you (SATA 6Gb/SSD) ? Worth the extra cash outlay critical?
Caviar Black are good drives as I'm sure you're aware and proven technology (+ 5 yr warranty) as against....
SATA 6Gb - limited availability, proving to be more than a little buggy on motherboards that implement it natively (see Gigabyte X58A-UD7 forum posts for example), real world testing doesn't show huge gains over SATA 2 - so far. See http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3668
SSD - small capacity, not all SSD's have TRIM support (some first and current generation will never have it), not expected to become cost effective for another year-18 months. They are quiet, cool and a neat solution but an expensive one.

thanks dividebyzero for the reply.
and i didnt know that SSDs wouldnt become cost effective for that long of a time..
also i wasnt aware of the "buggyness" (for lack of a better word) of SATA 6Gb..
i believe i will go with the Caviar Blacks :D
p.s. would you (or anybody) happen to know if its possible to copy my current windows 7 partition over to the raid 0 array? if so, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back