Good TV Tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.

F1N3ST

I want to use my 20.1" widescreen monitor for games as well as TV and sell my old TV. Do these even have good quality? And I think I should have enough power under the hood to handle any Tv-Tuner (E6300 2GB OC RAM) I wont say a price range, I just want TV/Cable quality at the lowest price without sacrificing noticeable quality.

I hear Hauppauge makes some nice tuners.
The quality is about the same as you'd get on a regular tv, but since a pc monitor is generally viewed much closer, it will likely seem worse than a tv.

I have to concur, the Hauppauge WinTV PVR's are great cards. They have excellent compatibility, driver support and work well with any 2d/3d videocard.

The All-In-Wonder cards have an integrated tuner but are also a videocard (2d/3d). I don't recommend them as their driver support is severely lacking.

ATI also has the TV-Wonder and HD-Wonder cards, which are just Tuner/Capture cards for PCI designed to work with your existing 2d/3d card. Again, though, I don't recommend ATI Multimedia products as their software and driver support is very, very poor.

All-In-Wonders are now discontinued since the take-over from AMD as well, so their future is currently unknown.

I will be watching it from far away >5feet/1.75M So I want to lose no quality from a normal TV, maybe even gain some. So, which would do for that purpose?

In my experience, PC tuners on standard cable signals are pretty horrible. You're taking an already crappy, low-resolution signal feed and scaling it up to 4-10x the resolution so all noise and dirt are amplified.

You'll want to use a signal booster or have a really good cable company.

The only really good looking solution is a digital tuner + HD signal, but this usually costs $$ and is proprietary (i.e. needs a cable box) from your cable company.

Also, many areas in the US have OTA HD broadcasts. With a small VHF antenna, many areas in the US have 8-20 "HD" digital broadcasts free of local stations. This is the best route for quality but you'll need a TV tuner with a digital tuner (and analog for other stations) as well as in an area with HD OTA stations nearby, as well as the proper antenna for this.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. My home TV's are all connected to HTPC's and use PC tuners. We use Comcast analog cable as well as a unidirectional VHF antenna for 18 HD OTA channels.

I need to use my cable for ComedY Central :). I know TV is Lo-Quality, but im not going to be right on top of my monitor when watchin TV, I will be normal distance away.

F1N3ST said:
I need to use my cable for ComedY Central :). I know TV is Lo-Quality, but im not going to be right on top of my monitor when watchin TV, I will be normal distance away.

It should be fine, although if you record the program and put it on disk (and you record hight quality), you should have retained the tv quality that you would have wanted.

TV Tuner

I agree with Sharkfood on the ATI Product. I installed TV wonder PRO with remote, and originally it worked, and I was able to record important historical items of interest. But too often , it failed because of driver probs, and their Support System did not improve . As a consequence of their programs sensitivity(I call it Flakiness) It has not been operable for my use. Unhappy Camper with ATI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back