Google acquires Android gaming platform Green Throttle, reportedly for its Bluetooth controller tech

Justin Kahn

google android green throttle bluetooth bluetooth controller google green throttle android set-top box ouya hardware matt crowley karl townsend charles huang

While Google has been long rumored to be developing some kind of new set-top box, a recent acquisition might be pointing at the company's interest in gaming outside of just software. Some may not remember the now defunct gaming platform Green Throttle Games with its Android game controller, but Google certainly does.

The search giant has now confirmed that it has purchased Green Throttle Games, or at least a portion of the company. While the financial details have not been disclosed, we know Google will take on Green Throttle's parts and labor as well the company's two co-founders, Matt Crowley and Karl Townsend. The third co-founder, Charles Huang, is said to retain the rights to Green Throttle but doesn't appear to be moving to the Google team.

Green Throttle launched back in 2012 and was criticized for being late to the Android gaming space, behind competitors like the OUYA and PowerA. The company sold a custom Bluetooth controller called the Atlas that paired up with its Android Arena app.

While Google is yet to talk about what exactly it wants with Green Throttle, reports suggest that it has something to do with revamping the Bluetooth controller tech for the company's long rumored set-top box. There is no confirmation at this point of any of this, but it is clear that Google is taken an interest in some kind of new gaming hardware initiative.

Permalink to story.

Interesting enough, but I don't know if google could make an impact on the gaming market because of the way things are right now. Maybe if we get more details in the future we can see what the plans are but if google just plans another Droid style game console I don't see it flying off the shelves.

Also, that controller displayed in the picture from Green Throttle is clearly an Xbox ONE controller. I understand taking hints from other controllers but compared to others that took hints on the designs of other companies controllers, this one is a pretty blatant rip-off lol.

Back