Google attacks Nokia and Microsoft with bird analogy

Emil

Staff

Just after Nokia CEO Stephen Elop's "our platform is burning" memo leaked out, Google's vice president of engineering Vic Gundotra has attacked both Nokia and Microsoft with a bird analogy: "two turkeys do not make an eagle." Not only does the analogy have some history, but it also basically confirms that the Finnish company will not be going with Android (unless Gundotra is being unnecessarily rude).

Anssi Vanjoki, Nokia's former Executive Vice President for Markets, said the exact same thing in 2005 about BenQ buying Siemens' money-losing mobile handset business. Then again, Vanjoki also likened mobile phone makers that adopt Google's mobile operating system to Finnish boys who "pee in their pants" for warmth in the winter. Still, while Gundotra has got his revenge a little late (Vanjoki was denied the job as CEO and thus left Nokia), the situation is different than it was six years ago: Microsoft is not buying Nokia. Here's Gundotra's tweet:

#feb11 "Two turkeys do not make an Eagle".

The February 11 hashtag is important here: on Friday, at the company's Capital Markets Day event, Elop will be detailing Nokia's strategy going forward. The rumors keep building that the company will adopt Windows Phone 7. Even if it doesn't, it's becoming increasingly likely that Microsoft is going to play a part in the announcement, especially given that Elop worked for Redmond from January 2008 to September 2010 before joining Espoo.

Permalink to story.

There's some serious history behind "two turkeys do not make an eagle" -- it's what former Nokia VP Anssi Vanjoki said in 2005 about BenQ buying Siemens's failing handset business.

Well, Anssi Vanjoki was right regarding the Siemens/BenQ thing. They failed horribly. In fact they only lasted about 10 months before the whole business went south.

Google's own Android isn't something to cheer about, it isn't the stable and robust mobile OS as they want us to believe, infact I'd say it is the 'turkey' for now, and a fad which may go away if Google doesn't improve the whole methodology with regard to its mobile business; and after almost four months of using my GT-i9000, I am confident that I won't be buying any more android phone any time soon; and it also means I won't let any Android phone get in my employer's inventory either. At least blackberrys / WP cells doesn't crash as often and are much more reliable anyway.

Archean said:
Google's own Android isn't something to cheer about, it isn't the stable and robust mobile OS as they want us to believe, infact I'd say it is the 'turkey' for now, and a fad which may go away if Google doesn't improve the whole methodology with regard to its mobile business; and after almost four months of using my GT-i9000, I am confident that I won't be buying any more android phone any time soon; and it also means I won't let any Android phone get in my employer's inventory either. At least blackberrys / WP cells doesn't crash as often and are much more reliable anyway.

The GT-i9000 runs a custom interface. Therefore you can't use it in a comparison. I have the i9000 and the nexus S. The difference is unbelievable.

Archean said:

Blackberries not crashing as much? [sarcasm] Reeeaaallly? [/sarcasm] I run our comms infrastructure, we have 60-something blackberries and i'm constantly troubleshooting them. Our Nexus / Galaxy (android) users are having nearly 1/10 of the issues and reliability quirks.

You obviously have no clue Mr. Whatever your name is.

Archean said:
Dude just get a new phone already, stop bitching

Hi. I don't know what you are talking about. I bought xperia x10 a week ago, I upgrated it and it runs like hell. It's amazing how fast you can run-install-uninstall applications and games. My opinion: it's fast, reliable and absolutely worth the money (€345 with 2Gb m. card). My best phone after P910 ...
Archean if your job has to do with mobile phones - quit.

Google is way to cocky for its own good. Granted their search engine is amazing and sets the standard, but all of their other products I have used have not impressed me in the least.

Microsoft on the other hand has impressed me on more than one occasion. Sure a lot of failures as well.

That is just plain mean. Seriously -- I like Google, but I wish that all of these CEOs and other VIP types would keep it professional. I'm reminded of the guy who made a nasty comment about Apple and Steve Jobs recently. He did apologize about the S. Jobs comment, but still -- he seemed like he was just trash-talking.

It never hurts to keep nasty comments to yourself. And remember -- today's Turkeys could become tomorrow's Eagles.

And you can always get knocked down yourself.

Keep it clean, people.

@aj
Yup I will very soon, just waiting for WP7 update to be released and I'll be done with this thing :)

@Emin3nce
I perfectly know what I am talking about, and half a dozen or so issues I've faced with this galaxy s; so before jumping on any conclusion try to get to know what are the underlying problems.

@princeton
Agreed, Nexus S and the earlier "Google" phones are much better, I thought about switching galaxy s with nexus but one thing which turned me away was lack of expansion card slot. Although if the supplier offered a free replacement I may consider it ;)

@Prosercunus
That is one reason I am planning to go back to WP, ironically my older Samsung Omnia i900 never missed a beat.

Archean said:

I agree android is not stable as people think but the bigger picture here is it is the only OS available for all companies unless they want to develop their own, everyone wants a piece of smartphone action but it isn't quite possible without android which kinda makes it the eagle here.Android still runs lousy on some phones including the one that i own but i am satisfied because it costs me 3 times more to buy an iphone or 2 times more to buy a powerful phone that runs android well.But still android still has an long way to go to give an iphone experience.

@Archean:
I may be pro Android (got the SGS) but i'm not opposed to moving to Win7 if the product is better, but as of now win7 is not quite there yet, maybe the update will make a big difference

Back