Google clarifies email scanning practices in new terms of service

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Google on Monday updated its terms of service informing users that the company's automated systems analyze their content (including e-mails) to create targeted ads. The analysis is done when the content is sent, received, and stored, the company says. The guidelines came into effect yesterday.

"The changes will give people even greater clarity and are based on feedback we've received over the last few months", Google spokesperson Matt Kallman told Reuters. "We want our policies to be simple and easy to understand."

Although privacy advocates say that the practice of scanning e-mails in users' Gmail accounts is illegal, the company argues that users implicitly consented to its activity, recognizing it as part of the email delivery process.

Google has been seeking new ways to extract user information in order to boost its online advertisement revenue. In the process, the company has often been accused of violating user privacy. There are several privacy related lawsuits pending against the company.

Last month, a US judge refused to combine several lawsuits that accused Google of violating user privacy into a single class action. On the other hand, another US judge termed the company’s policies “vague at best, and misleading, at worst.”

Permalink to story.

Wait so are they basically reading all mail that we get? I feel like that is a total invasion of privacy.

Wait so are they basically reading all mail that we get? I feel like that is a total invasion of privacy.
No, they don't. Just automated systems that read your email but not humans. Don't be native, all free email services do that. They just match your interesting with the ads, nothing more and nothing less. It's better than blue pill ads pop up in right front of you.

According to wikipedia, Google has about 48,000 employees. There's hundreds of millions of GMail accounts out there, so I don't see how it's possible for that many people to be reading every one of those emails. It's all done automatically by computers. I understand there will always be privacy concerns, but I don't think you have to be too worried.

What's funny here is the outcry. Google offered a practically, unlimited e-mail service, including massive amounts of free storage. Did anyone really think "hey, what a great bunch of guys, providing this free service from which they gain nothing for themselves"?
intel
Google are offering you a service in exchange for your data and the right to target you with advertising. If you don't like that, use another provider. There are many to choose from.
Next thing you know, people will be getting on their high horse that supermarket loyalty cards are building massive profiles on you about your shopping habits and selling the information. What? You didn't know that why you get that voucher for cheap washing liquid? Social media sites are selling your data to advertisers and marketing firms who harvest it for their own ends? No, really?
There's no such thing as a free lunch, etc.

@Raoul
Surprising isn't it? But such practices are result of 'ignorance' users show, unless that behavior changes I don't see these corporations stopping and changing their ways.

Back