Google enables movie pre-orders for Play Store users in the US

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Google has added a new movie pre-order feature for Play Store users, allowing them to reserve upcoming movies, and watch them the first day they're available on digital. The feature is currently available to users residing in the United States, although the company says more countries will be added soon.

There are currently 15 movies available for pre-order, including Gone Girl, The Maze Runner, Lucy, Guardians of the Galaxy, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and more. A complete list is available here.

A new pre-order button will show up next to unreleased movies. If you haven't done so yet, you'll need to enter credit card details to submit your pre-order, but your card will not be charged until the movie is delivered. Instead, you will receive an email receipt and the pre-order will be added to “My Movies”, along with relevant information and a release date.

Once the movie becomes available, you will receive another email confirming your purchase and the movie will be delivered to your library.

The new feature is designed to help you "forget film release countdowns" knowing that you'll get a heads up and the movie in your library as soon as it's out. Convenient, perhaps. But does it really make sense to pre-order digital items, something that can't go out of stock? 

Permalink to story.

That really depends. If they offer users that pre-order the option of downloading the content ahead of time but keeping it locked until it's released, kind of like sites like Steam does with games, then it may be with it to avoid the hassle of overloaded servers on launch day. But then again, I can't imagine that many people will be downloading to cause such an issue, do my point may be moot anyways lol.

"first day its available" .. soo months after its available in the theatre (or any number of pirate sites)?

When are these people going to learn that its a stupid business strategy to say theaters have an exclusive right to hog movies for months before everyone else can see it?

Back