Google now activating 300,000 Android phones daily

Emil

Staff

Andy Rubin, Android's co-founder and now vice president of engineering at Google, has revealed a new milestone for the operating system. "There are over 300,000 Android phones activated each day," Rubin said via his Twitter account.

That's over 2.1 million phones every week and over 9 million phones every month. Four months ago, in August 2010, Google CEO Eric Schmidt announced that Android activations passed the 200,000 per day mark. Apple then countered by revealing in September 2010 that it was seeing over 230,000 new iOS activations every day.

The devil is in the details though: Rubin specifically says that the number is 300,000 phones activated each day, which means tablets and other devices running Android are not being counted. Back in September though, Apple's number referred to iOS activations, which means it includes other iOS devices like iPads and iPod touches.

In sheer activation numbers, Google is thus clearly winning. The company is soon going to be activating over 10 million Android phones per month, and the growth doesn't seem to be slowing.

Permalink to story.

That's very good, and well earned as well - I'm so much happier with my Android phone than I can ever recall being with another phone OS.

I will become one of those sometime after Christmas. Thank you, Blackberry, for giving me a good entrance into the smartphone industry...unfortunately.......you now suck and annoy me, lol.

I'm much happier with my Android phone, than with my 3 other windows mobile phones.

Jeez, I guess in 3 years every 1 in 20 people (5%) will be using an android phone.

Of course the enlightened other 95% of the population will all be using Apple's iOS. ;)

how do they track the stats? do the reloading of roms on rooted phones count?if so that would be an inflated no.

Of course the enlightened other 95% of the population will all be using Apple's iOS. ;)

I wouldn't say enlightened... I came from an iPhone to an HTC Desire. The Android OS beats it hands down.

Yes the iPhone's OS is good, but the essential difference between the two for me is the Android lets you get on with whatever you want, whereas the iPhone OS wants to confirm your iTunes password everytime you want to install something. Being forced to run an iPhone through iTunes is just annoying as well.

In my opinion all of the iPhone's flaws are positives with Android - to me thats the difference between choosing to use the HTC Desire over the iPhone.

I've 'tried to like' Apple's iOS on 3GS & 4, but frankly it just doesn't seems as 'polished' as Android is, and there aren't any other stupid restrictions in place.

The Android OS beats it hands down.

Absolutely, you know one thing which I abhor about iOS, there is no 'clean' screen, it feels cluttered and all, for hell's sake even WinMo's interface allowed that.

@Leeky
Yes, and you can choose for variety of hardware platforms / price points, hence you are not 'forced' to buy Apple's greatest at their 'inflated' prices.

However, I would say one thing, i.e. Google should take bit more control and 'force' all Android phone makers to provide good support + OS up-gradation path in a timely manner. For example, Google is about to launch Nexus S, which is almost exactly the same as my GT-i9000 is, and yet Samsung is saying that it is 'awaiting' official requirements for Ginberbread, before making any commitment for further OS up-gradation.

Yeah, the updates for Android can be frustrating for some, but when you consider the difference between Androids product line against say the iOS', it immediately becomes clear how sometimes things aren't as fast as they are with Apple; having only one phone (just different memory/covers) makes their life much easier in terms of updates.

Android support multiple phone manufacturers, of all different types and sizes. I guess part of that process will involve some handsets being delayed, and the further delays by carriers not resolving their dedicated firmware fast enough to meet such high demand from its user-base.

I'm a fan of Apple products, but the iPhone is one product I won't ever consider again. I'm much happier with Android phones, and no longer subscribe to the rather over-rated iPhone.

I do agree with the arguments with regard to diversified product portfolio Android caters for, but my point was GT-i9000 and Nexus S which is also made by Samsung (minus additional storage features) are 'exactly' the same platforms, and yet Samsung is saying it is still awaiting for 'specs' before it will say whether it will provide the update. It is this 'greyish' area which Google should take charge and layout clear rules.

Leeky said:
I'm a fan of Apple products, but the iPhone is one product I won't ever consider again. I'm much happier with Android phones, and no longer subscribe to the rather over-rated iPhone.

...........oh my god. I think hell just froze over. And Apple fan who didn't stand up for the iPhone just because it's an Apple product, lol. I didn't know you Apple people could be rational and not be blinded and brainwashed :p

We do exist Matrix86 ;)

I use what is best for the task in hand. If its built by Apple and its the best I'll use it. I also like Apple products, the design, the performance, the reliability (not the expense though!) etc. That said, if another product is better (Android HTC Desire), I'll go with that instead.

I've been a proud Mac owner since I was 12. I've always owned a Mac, but then I've always owned a PC as well. I like the best of both worlds.

Hate to break it to you son, but the only market where Apple holds that kind of a percentage, is with their own product.

Back