Google+ now has 400 million users, 100 million active each month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google has revealed that more than 400 million users now have Google+ accounts and more than 100 million people are active on the service each month. It’s quite the accomplishment considering their social network has only been online for just over a year but they still have a lot of ground to gain on Facebook, a company that’s slowly approaching 1 billion users.

Senior vice president of engineering Vic Gundotra announced the milestone on his Google+ page earlier today. There was a bit of confusion initially as CNET reported the search giant counts anyone interacting with a product related to Google+ as an active user. This includes YouTube, Google Play and Google’s search engine, just to name a few.

The executive went on to clarify that those 100 million active users are from people visiting plus.google.com on computers, the mobile web or through the Google+ app.

The publication further highlights that Google actually uses two different methods to calculate activity. The first measures things like +1s awarded to clips on YouTube or apps in the Google Play store from signed-in members. If you recall, Google said there were 150 million monthly users engaging with Google+ in this fashion back in June.

The metric that surfaced today on Gundotra’s profile simply measures Google+ engagement as a destination and is reportedly the first time they have released this type of data to the public. He said his company couldn’t have imagined so many people would join in such a short period of time.

Permalink to story.

They converted my PAID Picasa account for storing family pictures and videos to the Google plus account without me really wanting the change. Thus if we take users from their independent products, like Picasa and apply an automatic migration to Google Plus, you would get automatically "new" users and also "active" users...

Just saying...

They also converted my youtube account to google plus..If you delete your google plus account you lose your youtube videos (didn't post much but some outdoor outings I did in the past) . Well of course you can re-enable it, but didn't like what google did.

They converted my PAID Picasa account for storing family pictures and videos to the Google plus account without me really wanting the change. Thus if we take users from their independent products, like Picasa and apply an automatic migration to Google Plus, you would get automatically "new" users and also "active" users...

Just saying...

Facebook also fabricates their stats. Bots, multi-accounts, 1 year-login-users, the whole shebang.

They also converted my youtube account to google plus..If you delete your google plus account you lose your youtube videos (didn't post much but some outdoor outings I did in the past) . Well of course you can re-enable it, but didn't like what google did.

They pulled the same stunt with me. I'm almost to the point where I'm done with Google attempting to force me into using my real name for everything.

I used it a few times.....It's a ghost town..I think 100Million users is inflated big time. Like people are saying Google is slamming people into Google+ even if they don't want it. Picasa, Youtube, etc. Also Google is bundling Chrome in Flash Player updates. I lost a lot of respect for Google in the last few years. Seems desperate in my book and annoying all at the same time...So I tend to not use their service much any more besides search and Gmail.

They pulled the same stunt with me. I'm almost to the point where I'm done with Google attempting to force me into using my real name for everything.

Yeah, I didn't like that also. I keep my name secret if I can. For google+ I'm Dilandau albatou. They wont force me :p.

That is a small price to pay to stay away from timeline.

Just saying...

https://picasaweb.google.com is not the same as https://plus.google.com
Article specifically says it's traffic to the latter.

I used it a few times.....It's a ghost town..I think 100Million users is inflated big time. Like people are saying Google is slamming people into Google+ even if they don't want it. Picasa, Youtube, etc. Also Google is bundling Chrome in Flash Player updates. I lost a lot of respect for Google in the last few years. Seems desperate in my book and annoying all at the same time...So I tend to not use their service much any more besides search and Gmail.

I'm guessing it's a worldwide statistic, which is why you feel it's a "ghost town" (in contrast to what, 7 billion people in the world?).
Go around liking people like Mike Elgan and you'll see plenty of activity, because he has followers from everywhere.

Back