Google Play celebrates first birthday with special offers

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’s already been a full year since Google announced they would be replacing the Android Market with a new service called Google Play. The new store not only replaced the old but expanded it by including eBooks, music, video content and more. To celebrate the service’s one year anniversary, Google is slashing the price on all sorts of offers in their online store.

The offers will extend throughout the week with what we assume is a different set of deals and offers highlighted on the main page each day. Today’s key offers are focused on music downloads, in-app purchases, new game features, free book downloads and discount offers.

As of writing, there are 11 different offers on the main page including a free download of Sweet Jane by The Velvet Underground, a free $15 gift card and free shipping in the US with your first order at Fancy, 50 percent off Kung Fu Panda and a free download of the pilot for Breaking Bad.

Other deals include $20 in free gift cards from Gyft, unique maps in Gnome Village and Royal Revolt and an exclusive in-game character in Yumby Smash. Users can also score 10 percent off a room booked with Hotels.com for a limited time.

It’s worth pointing out, however, that each category (music, movies, books, magazines, TV and games) all have special birthday offers this week so be sure to check each section for related deals and of course keep an eye on the main landing page for daily offers.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, I have to say that this selection is pretty bleak. I've seen far better promotions, like the 10c sales they had going.

I just found out that "Dunkin' Donuts" has an app, and it's free! I wish I had an Android phone so I could get that free app. I mean after all, think how much richer any of our lives would be, if we all had Dunkin' donuts apps on our phones.

I hope Google doesn't hijack this free app, and put it in their store...:D

Back