Google readies its own health and fitness tracking platform, dubbed Google Fit

Jos

Staff

Hot on the heels of Apple’s WWDC, where the Cupertino-based company announced its HealthKit platform for aggregating health and fitness-related data from third party apps and devices, Google is apparently set to launch a similar service at its own I/O developer conference later this month.

According to Forbes’ sources, the service will be introduced as a set of APIs for developers to tap into and allow apps to share data from a variety of health and fitness trackers. It’s unclear if Google Fit will be built into an upcoming version of Android, or released as a standalone app for users to download.

Google is expected to announce partnerships with wearable device makers at its I/O conference as part of its Android Wear initiative. It’s likely that at least some of those might form part of the Google Fit ecosystem. LG’s G Watch, for instance, is said to have a pedometer built in.

Further details are scarce at the moment but we’ll learn more soon enough as the Google I/O conference is scheduled to kick off on June 25th.

Aside from Apple’s HealthKit, Samsung also unveiled its own biometric data platform that collects health information from devices, dubbed Sami.

Permalink to story.

Hot on the heels of Apple’s WWDC, where the Cupertino-based company announced its HealthKit platform
I know it's like an unwritten rule on tech websites that anytime Apple is mentioned you have to say they're from Cupertino, but we know by now. Cupertino is just a piece of SF, it's nothing special... if Apple were based on the Moon, it would be worth mentioning every story. Cupertino? Not so much.

Aside from Apple’s HealthKit, Samsung also unveiled its own biometric data platform that collects health information from devices, dubbed Sami.

Well, obviously everyone had to jump on the bandwagon once the first one did. Looks like the next 'big' thing. Or not... who knows. I understand how technology can be very helpful in tracking health and exercise metrics, but the biggest technology market in the world is America. And here in America, we prefer the couch to the treadmill.

Back