Google shows off new version of Android, announces 1 billion active monthly users

Justin Kahn

google android l developer preview android one

Google has kicked off its I/O keynote showcasing the new version of Android with the L Developer Preview, a new set of software guidelines known as Android One and some pretty impressive active Android user stats.

As we expected, Google showed of the latest version of Android with an all new design aesthetic referred to as "Material Design". Although much simpler and flatter, Google appears to be separating itself from competition with new “elevation values” that allow developers to create depth for various elements of their apps, casting shadows and things of that nature.

Google is also bringing 5000 new developer APIs, enhanced notifications, improved battery life, deeper security features with "personal unlocking" that works with location and voice recognition as well as Bluetooth device tracking. There is also a new graphics package for "L" that Google referred to as "desktop gaming graphics in your pocket."

The Android One software guidelines is a program designed to ensure that third party Android devices aren't plagued by other skins and add-ons. It basically allows for OEMs to offer a much more stock Android experience to users. This will likely improve the lower end Android devices, as it will set a standard in which devices makers will have to meet in order to be considered an authentic "Android One" device.

Google also announced that it now has over 1 billion active monthly Android users, up from 538 million this time last year. You may remember Google saying that it hit 1 billion previously, but that was before it started only counting users that have been active for 30 days. We know that mobile Chrome is now host to over 300 million monthly active users as well.

You can expect more news coming out of I/O and you can watch the live (and already recorded) feed of the Google keynote here.

Permalink to story.

Now Android users have no right to say "iOS copied Android". They both steal equally as much.

Yeah yeah patent troll yeah yeah.......

Amazing news for android users, hopefully we'll see less bloated phones in a no so distant future :p

Yeah yeah patent troll yeah yeah.......

Amazing news for android users, hopefully we'll see less bloated phones in a no so distant future :p

or phones with 100 cores with a 1hr idle battery life because hey who would use a phone with 1month battery life quad core 2gb ram real optimized phone.

Well at least they finally had sense enough to get help from people who actually know what they're doing.
:D

or phones with 100 cores with a 1hr idle battery life because hey who would use a phone with 1month battery life quad core 2gb ram real optimized phone.

Actually, my phone has a quad core proc clocked at 2,36ghz and a 5,2" IPS screen and it has been the most optimized phone I've had in terms of both performance and battery life.

Now Android users have no right to say "iOS copied Android". They both steal equally as much.

If you're implying Google is copying Apple with this new android version I'm afraid you'd be mistaken. Google has been moving towards flatter designs for years before Apple even revealed iOS 7. Not to mention: Microsoft also ventured into the flat aesthetic with both Windows Phone and Windows 8 before iOS 7.

Have had nothing but problems with my Google Nexus 5. The WiFi range sucks, it can't connect with the settings common in many routers that all the iPhone users have 0 issues with, it can't make phone calls through WiFi anymore (Google killed that for everyone a month ago - way to go Google) , and Google support has been terrible. Just check the forums if you don't believe me. I now fully understand why iPhone users are so happy. Because they "just work" and Google's "just don't". :(

Interesting, I've had a Nexus 5 for 3 months now and have not had any issues what so ever. Best and fastest phone I've ever used.
And with android 5/L it can only get better

No problems what so ever with my Nexus 5. Great speeds over 5Ghz wifi.
If I need more wifi range I switch to 2.4Ghz which has a better range.

I don't like the navbar design. Other features seem fine, music and gallery look good although they are showing mostly social network features which I don't really care about. I wonder if there are any changes to launcher or settings.

Have had nothing but problems with my Google Nexus 5. The WiFi range sucks, it can't connect with the settings common in many routers that all the iPhone users have 0 issues with, it can't make phone calls through WiFi anymore (Google killed that for everyone a month ago - way to go Google) , and Google support has been terrible. Just check the forums if you don't believe me. I now fully understand why iPhone users are so happy. Because they "just work" and Google's "just don't". :(

How much is Apple paying nowadays for posts?

Most iPhone users are blissfully ignorant and shouldn't even own a "smartphone". But then, you just proved that point.

Back