Google Streetview

TimeParadoX

How is it that Google takes pictures of streetview? I know they have a lot of cars, but they seem to have views that would be hard to get (They seem to cut into traffic, like in New York City), so how do they do it? Also they went to every street in my city except for mine. :(

Original post on topic: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic111075.html

Google hire many independant private contractors to drive around and take pictures

Invasion of privacy?
Well there's been cameras in cities for years

Oh there's lots of cameras, and lots on angles

Have you seen the Docudrama "2057"? Michio Kaku (might not be him who said it, but I remember it from a docudrama that depicted the future) says that in the future they'll be little cameras everywhere, they are so tiny that we don't feel or see them. So maybe that will be the future "Google Earth", with it actually being in-depth view and you could see every place you want, even inside buildings. That would be more invasive than people driving around in cars with cameras on the roof.

Obviously you are aware of George Orwell's book 1984
Which came out in 1949

That guy (Michio Kaku) was born in 1947

So I'd say George Orwell wins, with his Big Brother is watching

You do know that book\film I hope (you must!)

Anyway, in the book there were cameras inside the homes
And they also had something called NewSpeak which is definately happening too.

Just a matter of time I feel
Businesses already have cameras (legally allowed) at work
Why not in the home? (I know why, but the younger generation have not been taught privacy)

Whereas I was

Watch 1984, read 1984.
Watch Farenheit 451, read Farenheit 451.
Watch V for Vendetta.
Question what is happening.

Since at least the 1940s people have been concerned about their governments actions, back then they didn't have the means to congregate and organize any resistance. We do now. Inform yourself, and act appropriately.

I believe that Google hires people to put camera's on top of trucks and drive around. You will notice, like I did, that you cannot see the faces of people in cars or license plate numbers. Which is great. If you try and move closer on a moving car, the street will move but the car will stay a distance away, or simply pass the camera view.

It scares me. I actually noticed that my streets pic was taken a long time ago, as there is now a donkey sitting on the side of the road.

Back